floorboards on concrete?

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by legepe, Apr 16, 2019.

1. legepe

legepe Member

Hi all
    I want to get reclaimed floorboards and lay them on an uninsulated concrete floor
    Could this be done by using 22mm battens spaced at around 450mm then put the floor boards down?
    Any advice very welcome
    Thanks
    legepe

2. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

I would put a dpm down first, any moisture from the concrete will transfer into the battens and eventually into the flooring

3. legepe

legepe Member

Can I use plastic sheeting under battens and will I not have any problems with thermal changes causing condensation under floor as there wont be any airflow?

4. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

I would go with bitumen paper or even roofing felt (try asking builders merchants if they have any damaged rolls cheaper )

5. legepe

legepe Member

Just wondering why bitumen paper would be better and a visqueen sheet.. I would have to join the paper around every 900mm?

6. brenchy

brenchy Well-Known Member

As soon as you fix through the visqueen you created a hole in the plastic moisture will always follow the path of least resistance hence why the bitumen or felt would seal itself around the fix create you damp inhibitor. F77 might be a good choice here prime with p131 and flow 300 HD then bond it down

7. legepe

legepe Member

Do you just mean to use these products where I will drill into concrete floor or throughout.. I would think the floor will need to be sanded down first which I would like to avoid if possible..

8. legepe

legepe Member

I am limited on how high I can raise the floor level and would think that 22mm batons then the floorboards 22mm = 44mm is the max I can go..
    I would like to use a second fix nail gun with 38mm brad nails to attach the floorboards to the batons but glue each one also.
    Would this be suitable method?

9. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Grind the concrete smooth, ardex dpm 1c, prime with p4, ardex k11 then bond it down forget about battens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. legepe

legepe Member

Ok, do i need special equipment to grind the concrete smooth.. how much dust will this create? and the reason I wanted to use battens was to create a barrier between the uninsulated concrete floor and the floorboards to hopefully not have so cold floor

11. legepe

legepe Member

Also, what product (adhesive) can I use to bond the boards directly to concrete? Ive been told I should not do this with reclaimed floorboards???

12. brenchy

What MC is in the wood ?

13. brenchy

cradle and batten would work

14. legepe

legepe Member

Sorry brenchy but not sure what you mean with MC is in the wood and cradle and batten? Could you please tell me.. thanks