Flooring shops / carpet advise

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by Nadeem, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Nadeem

Nadeem New Member

Hi

i'm after some advise My problem is visited a few flooring shops - independent ones and they may have same carpet and prices vary but they all use different underlay hard to compare prices really - also hard to know if one underlay is better or worse as you not comparing like for like - So when you look online see carpet is cheaper and then i think i could chose the underlay i want and not given to me.

1) Is it worth the risk buying a carpet online and having it fitted later - From online i mean of a roll i.e a grade

2) For a wool based carpet what underlay is best Foam, Felt/Crumb rubber combination, sponge, or just felt - i know will be based on feel you want to me Felt/crumb seems to be best compromise but most shops push foam

I'm just after some impartial advise - which i don't think i'm necessarily get from the flooring shop alot push Comcar as well and thats one brand i'm trying to avoid maybe more margins i don't know

3) Is it worth paying more for Brintons Bell Twist carpet vs a carpet from Brockway, Penthouse or Victoria carpets - or another wool based brand I know Brinton is woven but is a good 10 to 12 pounds more

2. Simon Grimley

Simon Grimley Well-Known Member

A couple of ways to compare underlay is to look at the depth (anything 11mm or thicker will require deeper grippers) and the density. A higher density will feel firmer and last longer.

1) You can but beware it is often harder to find a good fitter as many now refuse to fit carpets bought online. It is also worth pointing out that it can be a battle if there is a fault rather than the fitter/company dealing with it for you.

2) Felt/crumb is probably one of the best (if not the best) underlays but are often overkill for many carpets these days hence the PU foams being pushed more.

3) Bell Twist used to be great. I’ve heard it’s declined in the last 20 years or so but I haven’t worked with it in that time so can’t say if it’s true or not.

We supply and fit a lot of Victoria/Brockway wool carpets and usually couple it with Caviar and Crystal 9mm for an excellent finish.

3. Kevin Howitt

Kevin Howitt Member

Depending how much carpet you are buying handling and storing a carpet bought online can be very difficult. Good fitters are hard to find and you may struggle to get one for your project. Any problem with the delivered carpet may take some time to resolve. I recommend finding an independent with a good reputation. It may cost a little more but you will have more protection. I once had a customer who wanted me to take delivery of their carpet from the online supplier and store it until they were ready to fit. Thats one job I didnt get.