Furlong Flooring Carefree Ultra

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by Rob2005, Feb 10, 2023.

1. Rob2005

Rob2005 Member

Hi. We are considering new carpet in our lounge. A local independent recommended Furlong Flooring Carefree Ultra at a reasonable price.

Is this a good carpet?

Our lounge is quite heavy usage and backs onto the garden. The blurb says bleach cleanable which could be handy - is it true though? I can't imagine putting bleach on a new carpet and it ending well!

2. michaelbeard

michaelbeard Active Member

Yes you can clean polypropylene carpets with bleach
    Carpet is average quality would be good enough for lounge but a lot depends on the prep work and the installation ( correct gripper rods and placement , and correct underlay ) as if this isn’t correct it can decrease the life of the carpet significantly
    depending on the size of your lounge it could require power stretching

3. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Cheaper end. Isn’t bad. Had a few issues with it with line faults. Have a look at Abingdons stain free ultra

4. Rob2005

Rob2005 Member

We took a look at Abingdon and like the sophisticat range.

So are now torn between the Sophisticat and the Furlong Carefree Ultra.

The Sophisticat feels more luxury but I worry about how luxury it will feel in 2,3 or 5 years.

It's going in a lounge which backs onto the garden.

Any thoughts appreciated....
    Thanks

5. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Try 2 - 3 weeks, the longer the pile the more there is to flatten and the looser the pile the quicker it will wear, go with a decent twist pile and a denser underlay such as tredaire Ambience, then bleach clean you water down 10 parts water to one part bleach spray on and blot from the outside in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Abingdon wears pretty well. We’ve put a lot over the last 2-3 years and getting repeat work from it. Furlongs isn’t great. Probably one of the only companies that has a worse backing than cormar

7. Rob2005

Rob2005 Member

I never knew carpet was such a minefield!

I want to spend no more than £25 per sq/m. What should I be considering with 11mm underlay?

8. merit

merit Well-Known Member

A thicker gripper

9. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Doors will probably need resizing, door plates will need raising and again you’ll want a density of 145kg m3 upwards, the softer the underlay the worse it is for heavy wear areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Rob2005

Rob2005 Member

Sorry my question wasn't clear - I meant what carpet should I be considering - furlong doesn't seem well recommended and the Abingdon doesn't sound like it'll look great for a long time.

Tarkett - are you suggesting that a 9mm underlay might be better for this room?

Thanks

11. Rob2005

Rob2005 Member

Carpet in the Upton £25 sq/m range.

12. michaelbeard

michaelbeard Active Member

I
    I would recommend 9mm over 11mm unless the installer / retailer is willing to raise door bars and raise gripper rods or use thicker gripper but it’s not very common. As tarkett has also mentioned, look for a density rating of 145kg + when looking at the technical specifications of the underlay

13. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Victoria heartland is decent