General consensus on Looselay

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by DirkGently, Jun 28, 2020.

1. DirkGently

DirkGently Member

Hi all,

What's the general consensus looselay? I've seen conflicting opinions in this forum - some recommendations, and some not so complimentary.

They are advertised as DIY friendly, but the more I research the more it seems that this is not the case.

Thoughts?

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Awful

Only good if your putting it in a dark room with no furniture and plenty of expansion. I’m sure there are 1 or 2 half decent ones especially if they are designed for commercial use but domestic and diy products are poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. DirkGently

DirkGently Member

Thanks Merit. That's certainly one of the opinions I've seen. You wouldn't recommend Karndean Looselay then? That's the one that I was considering. I've Karndean Art Select in the rest of the house that was laid professionally, but fancied having a go myself, and lay it in my kids bedrooms. After a few weeks of casual research I'm leaning towards getting a fitter in again to Art Select all the way through.

4. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Looselay has to be stuck down and needs to have a perfect subfloor which really needs a professional to achieve

5. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

if its only a bedroom and you want to have a go I'd say go for it Ply it out and lay on a takifier

6. Phil_Cee

Phil_Cee Well-Known Member

Ive fitted it once, used Tackifier as recommended on here, and have had no comebacks whatsoever. Been since to measure another area and still looks good.

7. merit

merit Well-Known Member

It shrinks like all vinyl. Tackifier won’t stop that.

8. ArcticMonkey

ArcticMonkey New Member

Hi,

I have recently purchased 8 boxes of the Karndean Looselay planks in readiness to lay in my living room floor, however having read various posts on the forum I am wondering if i have done the right thing.

Brief summary is as follows-
    Mid terraced property 1900's. Existing floor- T&G floor boards on suspended timber floor. Generally pretty level however there is approx 50mm fall from one end of the room to the other. Size of room 5 x 4.5m approx.

I have over boarded the floor boards with 9mm ply, joints closely butted and screwed down with 4.0mm x 30mm c/s spax screws @ 150mm ctrs.

Queries as follows-
    1. As the floor isn't truly 'level' will this be a problem?
    2. Do i need to skim screw heads given planks are 4.5mm thk?
    3. I accept I will have to glue the planks down but what adhesive should i use. Pressure sensitive or Tackifier?

Thanks in anticipation of receiving some feedback. Cheers.

9. LKAB Gypsol Alan Jackson

LKAB Gypsol Alan Jackson Well-Known Member

I always find this a bit annoying. I'm a diyer rather than a professional. I have laid vynil several times n several different houses, with and without underfloor heating. In fact I have some 5mm thick stuff in my office now which has been there 4 years loose laid, underfloor heating, furniture, wood burner and velux windows. Cost £6.99 per m2 and fitted myself. No ripples, marks, scratches. No reflection of the crack underneath. I could make a good bet that had i stuck it down it would show the crackmjnderbesth of nothing else. Maybe I'm just lucky???

10. LKAB Gypsol Alan Jackson

LKAB Gypsol Alan Jackson Well-Known Member

*show the crack underneath if nothing else... and no tackifier either...

11. merit

merit Well-Known Member

DIY l, small room, pinned with furniture, may be fine. If you start fitting it everyday, you will see lots of issues with it. Karndean even recommend you install it on their own produced tackifier. It’s on the looselay box. We fitted 10 entrance halls for flats with it last year. It wouldn’t last a day without tacki

12. ArcticMonkey

ArcticMonkey New Member

So should I use Tackifier or pressure sensitive adhesive in my situation?

13. merit

merit Well-Known Member

They make tackifier for looselay. You should ask Karndean tho

14. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

HT

15. ArcticMonkey

ArcticMonkey New Member

Sorry, what does HT stand for?

16. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

High temp
    so like uzin KE66 or fball F48

17. ArcticMonkey

ArcticMonkey New Member

Oh OK, thanks. Whilst waiting for a response I did contact Karndean Technical Team and they advised using tackifier as I do not have any underfloor heating and large areas of glazing within the room.