Glueing lvt onto existing Karndean

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Chris Dykes, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Chris Dykes

Chris Dykes New Member

Hi everyone, im new to this group. Im just after some advice regarding job in going to look at. My customer has asked if she can keep the existing Karndean down and glue the new lvt straight into the Karndean. Can anyone advise me if it's ok to do so and if it is what glue would you recommend.Thanks in advance

2. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Rip it up, prep the floor again before fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Chris Dykes

Chris Dykes New Member

Thanks for that. That's what I would normally do. Think she wanted to save time and money.

4. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

It's not something I've ever done, but i had to uplift one last year, that had been and it certainly didn't want to come up.
    I recently did two bedrooms which already had karndean and ply down ,i was fitting natural solutions ,so i went over top with their sticky underlay ,first time I've used it ,but it went down well and so far is still down with no problem and hopefully will carry on doing so

5. Chris Dykes

Chris Dykes New Member

I've never had any issue with any click lvt on top of existing lvt. I just wasn't 100% sure if you could glue on top of existing

6. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

I've done it before but was in my own house in my lads room. Had karndean down then I covered it with amtico I had left over from a job. I used uzin 2000s < that back in the day when I used to use that adhesive. Stayed down though for the rest of the time before we moved house (4yrs)

I keyed it up with a run over with the str and a fine disk.

If I had to do it again I'd just use ke49 adhesive which is what I use these days and that's if I really had to go over the top of existing lvt (ie my own house)

If I had a customer saying they want me to go over the top I'd refuse and price accordingly. Win some you lose some.

7. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Plastercise migration o_O

8. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Sounds like a Job for softlay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

Softlay it

10. Sivsaints

Sivsaints Active Member

I’ve had the same request From a customer last week 90 sqr mtr. I said we could 3.6mm ply over top if subfloor isn’t concrete.

11. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member