Goods in transit/tool cover

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by Neilydun, Sep 14, 2022.

1. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

Four guys I know have had there vans done this week.
    One guy had 10k of kit stolen.
    Has anyone had tool cover and actually claimed on it ?
    I think I am going to have to get cover on at least 3 vans now, as this seems to be a everyday problem now.

2. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

I’ve got it but never needed it thankfully. Got 7k worth of tool cover. Be careful some policy’s don’t cover for tools left on van overnight.

3. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Yeah there’s a limit on most of them. Defo worth getting it all covered cos the fuzz won’t do a god damn thing about it

4. Neilydun

Yep, the plod are definitely not interested at all. I think a 5k limit would be ok for most of the time, and yes I have seen some overnight clauses, so that would have to be avoided as we do a lot of away work.

5. Simon Grimley

Simon Grimley Well-Known Member

Worth also keeping a list of tools with photos/reciepts/serial numbers. Pain to setup but if anything happens hard for the insurance company to argue.

6. Neilydun

So, I spoke with several companies today, and they all want receipts for the tools to be covered.
    Some of my kit is old, so I don`t have them.
    There is also depreciation on value, which goes down to 50% over about 5 years.
    As Simon said above, I have offered photos, with serial numbers etc but apparently, that`s not good enough.

7. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Have you tried trade direct insurance?

8. Neilydun

Ive just taken a look, and I think you can only take it out as an extension of public liability.
    My renewal is December, so will find someone then who can do a package hopefully.

9. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Ah ok