Hardwood refinishing problem - White poly spots

Discussion in 'Wood' started by Pineapple13, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Pineapple13

Pineapple13 New Member

Hello All,
    Hoping you can help me with a puzzle. I'm refinishing red oak hardwood floors. It had lots of pet stains in it. I used wood bleach and a few other homemade concoctions (dish soap, vinegar, baking soda) to try to remove the stains and the smell. Finally satisfied, I used a very dark oil based Jacobian color stain with good results. Used a water based polyurethane over it and the places where I treated the stains with wood bleach dried white. I've seen info about water being trapped in the poly making it cloudy, but why only over the spots that were treated with wood bleach? The spots were rinsed and totally dry for a week before I stained. Could it be some reaction with the acid I used and wasn't neutralized? Would I get a different result if I used the oil based poly? I used the water poly so I didn't have to sand between coats and I have young kids and it has less toxic fumes. I've searched and can't find anyone else who has described this problem. How can I fix this? Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated!

2. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

You could possibly try something like Bona mega or traffic lacquer, using their primer first might seal the wood before the finish goes on, but you could always phone their technical department to check

3. Pineapple13

Pineapple13 New Member

So do you mean add the sealer over the stain but before the poly?