Harrogate Flooring Show Apprentice of the Year Competition (2014)

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by Matt, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member Staff Member

So then, all of you that attended the Harrogate show 2014.

What was your thoughts on the apprentice of the year competition. For the record , FloorSkills DID NOT have any apprentices competing , however i have requested that next year (2015) that we would like to attend.

I would also like you to note that the apprentices competing had been trained by two colleges and was at the end of there two year apprenticeship with the college. Personally i think they did very well as they was not given any help from the instructors and as most apprentices (who do not attend colleges etc) are normally still at the stage of sweeping up, this to me proves that college / FloorSkills apprenticeships do help majorly advance apprentices over "in house" trained apprentices. Im not saying that a employer cant train a young lad/girl to the same standards or possibly better as some employees are very good and can produce very good apprentices in the same time and some times faster. However my point is that almost all apprentices should be able to produce simular results in the same time frame, but sadley we have many apprentices who are trained soley by employeers that are still on sweep up duty after 2 years, let alone installing flooring on their own.

I would like to here your views on this competition please, Was you impressed with what they produced? Did you expect better? Was it too Easy ? To Hard maybe? Who should judge? Basically what did you think?

Would love some feedback as i would like to enter FloorSkills apprentices next year.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  2. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

I thought they did very well from what I saw apart from a few points most will have noticed.
    I couldn't imagine the pressure they where feeling to do that in full glare of the public (especially Matt)

Hats off to them

3. bournemouth

bournemouth Super Moderator

Only saw them ring shaking the ply so didn't see any of the finished efforts buy the ply and pinning wasn't to bad and hats off to them as after 2 years to do it in front of people took some balls

4. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Thought they did amazing. With loads of people watching and asking questions.
    I hope Kieran is as good as them in a year.

Any pics of the final day?

5. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Yes very good, if Ardex came over and looked at my latexing after 2 years I would of been banned from the flooring trade.
    Good on em. Didn't see any fitting but that would also impress

6. Cre8tiveflooring

Cre8tiveflooring Well-Known Member

I wasn't anywhere near that standard after 2.5 yrs and I do think that off site training as played its part. It shows it works.

Had a chat to the guy with the hat on(one on the right hand bay) and he was very enthusiastic about flooring which was very positive for a youngster to say. I would have been chopping fingers off and all sorts with the pressure of others watching. Would be good to find out how they got on at the end.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  7. willo87

willo87 Well-Known Member

Think they done really good, a lot pressure as lots Peploe watching,
    And good for them they should be proud of there selfs to have been there,
    Good that they get back ground knowledge from young age and chance to learn hands on early :)

8. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Lad on right is 26 Matt