Harvey Maria lvt - how was this stained?

Discussion in 'Pictures' started by cjinspain, Nov 25, 2018.

1. cjinspain

cjinspain Member

We had the Charcoal Parquet flooring fitted in February 2014, by June 2015 we noticed a yellowish staining on the flooring between two carpets that we had in our conservatory. The floor was cleaned every week, carpets moved back, and no spillage was on the floor. However, we did not have blinds in the conservatory for the first 2 years and believe that this could be caused by sun damage. We have other lighter colour change around the conservatory flooring. Harvey Maria have been to see this recently after years of complaining, and have concluded that it is caused by rubber backed carpets. Neither of the rugs are rubber backed so not sure how they reached this conclusion. We need to see if anyone else has had this problem. My photos that show the gap between a runner and a larger rug is too large to post but the fading is similar in colour to old, faded paperback books. Hopefully someone could help us as we were not warned of such a colour fade in such a short time. We have been told by another LVT producer that their tiles would fade lighter in the sun. Adhesive and cleaning have been cleared as a cause of this discolouration. Any help, advice would be appreciated.

2. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Where are the pics ?

3. cjinspain

cjinspain Member

I'll try again to attach. The photos are 2.3MB and seem too large to Upload, not sure why as they have been OK elsewhere. Any ideas?

4. cjinspain

cjinspain Member

See one photo of the staining as my profile picture !!

5. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

There are the pictures.
    Looks like it could be the sunlight. Has the carpets been down the whole time.

7. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

It's UV bleaching from direct sunlight

8. cjinspain

cjinspain Member

The runner and the large carpet were down the whole time from Feb 2014 to June 2015, with no window or roof blinds so we did think it was sunlight damage. We just didn't expect this to happen after only 16 months. Harvey Maria still insist it is rubber matting but clearly the gap between the rugs shows it was uncovered, and there were no rubber mats nearby. Not sure what to do now as there was no mention of risk if laid in a conservatory. We would definitely not have chosen these if there were warnings. Many thanks for your help.

9. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Definitely uv bleaching, doesn’t matter how long it took it can be as early as a few days if the uv rays are strong enough and the only way to help mitigate it is by having blinds up from the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. cjinspain

cjinspain Member

Thank you for your reply. Just as we thought but I wish we had been warned.

11. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Sadly sometimes if you’re busy simple things do slip your mind, I understand it’s a pain for you but it’s also a nightmare for the retailer we all want to do the best job possible and leave everyone happy but manufacturers are strict leaving us no recourse to resolve it for you. I hope you don’t slate them too much a bad review for something out of their control can be very damaging.

12. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Looks like a hot pipe under the floor lol

13. cjinspain

cjinspain Member

Fortunately I bought the flooring, adhesive and cleaner direct from the manufacturer so no retailers involved. We love the floor but would not have used it if we knew it was not suitable for a conservatory due to the daylight conditions. Harvey Maria's insistence that it was rubber backed rugs as the cause is infuriating as there is no rubber near the area stained and photos prove this. The photo taken 'accidentally' with my grandson in it was taken a couple of months before we raised our concern and shows the runner and rug in place with a gap exactly where the discolouration has occurred. Why HM cannot see this is a mystery. We just needed to find out the cause.

14. cjinspain

cjinspain Member

That was a thought until we pointed out that there are no pipes under the floor and we have wall mounted electric heaters. We gave the builder's name to Harvey Maria to contact them to prove this if they doubted our word.

15. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

How did you buy direct ?

16. cjinspain

cjinspain Member

In December 2013 when we were looking for floor tiles there was a write up in a Sunday Paper and we liked the Harvey Maria tiles. Unfortunately only John Lewis stocked them within a 20 mile area of where we live, West Dorset, so we ordered direct from HM on their website. They did send the wrong tiles but quickly changed them. In this case I am glad I ordered direct due to the problems, but next time we will use a retailer as we will hopefully get honest and useful advice. The conservatory builder suggested Karndean but at the time their choice was limited to beige and cream. Because of this we didn't think that LVT's would face in the sun and any good make would be OK. There was no suggestion of discolouration on HM's web site in 2013, but they have now!

17. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

You got any spare tiles left?

18. cjinspain

cjinspain Member

Yes I have a couple of packets, and I could possibly swap them for the stained ones, but before we do we need to find out what caused the staining.

19. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Atleast it can be fixed but I get what you are saying.
    The sunlight have caused it so now least you know.