Hello & Advice please!

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by Hewitt84, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Hewitt84

Hewitt84 Member

Hi everyone, Steve here!

I'm 31, living in the Midlands and trying to keep this post as short as possible :) I've always worked sales/recruitment jobs but 3 years ago had to change my career completely and i'm now a bus driver o_O.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I'm good at DIY, hard working, fit & healthy and in the prime of my life (just about). I really want to try and do something for myself before it's too late and I've got it in my head that I want to become a self-employed floor layer. The plan would be to start with domestic carpet & vinyl and continue training & development to move into other areas.

I need advice on the following (in no particular order):

1. Van (I'm veering towards a Transporter LWB with folding passenger seats, although it's going to be expensive...).
    2. Tools (absolute essentials for someone starting out doing domestic installs)
    3. Training; Fita or Floorskills (I realise some may not have needed these courses, but I think they'd be invaluable to someone like me who has limited experience).
    4. Work Experience. I currently work shifts and am in the position to be able to work on my rest days for very little/free, however I still get the impression that people may not be keen to take me up on the offer as they would/could be training future competition (I have only spoken to a local carpet company so far, have not yet approached any individuals)
    5. Best time to make the jump: I'd love to be ready in time for September for the Xmas run but I think I'd be putting too much pressure on myself to achieve this. So I was thinking March 2017 after the New Year slump?

I'd love to know what people think, am I mental or thinking along the right lines? At the end of the day I can walk back into a bus driving job pretty much whenever I like, so it's got to be worth a shot hasn't it?

2. ROBSCOTT

ROBSCOTT Well-Known Member

Hi Steve
    First of any thing is possible if you want to do it and are willing . I would say this is a hard trade physically to come into and you may unfortunately find some companies willing to take you on . That said if you are willing to apply yourself and learn from others im sure you will make it. As for being a full blown domestic installer / commercial installer by September i would be sceptical i would be more worried that you can come to grips with the learning stage first dealing with customers / getting your prep spot on learning it all before you worry about going out on your own , I found most that like the idea of becoming a floor layer and want to run before they can walk not listening to the advise of experience installers . I would suggest you look out for a company that is willing to take you on for a trial before you jump into buying a van tools and paying for flooring courses. etc . See if it fits for you and the firm first .
    Ps if you sign up to floor skills you wont be disappointed .

3. ROBSCOTT

unwilling:eek:

4. Hewitt84

Hewitt84 Member

Thanks for the reply Rob.

Yeah I totally get what you're saying and they're things I've thought about too.

There seems to be zero employed carpet fitter jobs in my area, everyone uses sub contractors, so the work experience thing is a big stumbling block at the moment.. I thought the idea of offering help in return for experience was a good one, but now I'm not so sure!

The dealing with customers thing is no issue for me, but being able to get the job done to a high standard so important and I'm not sure what the best route is for someone who's already working full time in another area.

P.S - The September thing isn't realistic I know lol :)

5. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

I would say experience with a trained fitter, would account for about 80% of your training, and the remaining 20% with a training provider, such as Floorskills.
    I have put one son through there course, have another there at the moment, and another starting there in August, so i`m happy with them.
    As said above, its a physical trade, and at 42 I feel the strain now when were working hard, and i`m looking to my son`s to start taking on more and more of the fitting.
    At 31 its quite late to come into the trade (I would say), but if your that keen, its not impossible.
    Probably the hardest thing, would be to start working with an experienced fitter, for little money, and taking orders.

Don`t rush to spend your money on a van, you dont really need one yet.

If its carpet fitting you want to concentrate on, tools can be cheap (ish) but floorlaying tools are expensive.

As for time scales, I would expect a couple of years to learn how to fit carpet confidently. Hard floor`s quite a bit longer.

6. pf flooring

pf flooring Well-Known Member

Agree with neilly my "apprenticeship" lasted 4 years and has taken me a lot longer to get to the level I'm now at, at 31 you will probably find it hard to find someone to take you on unless you know a fitter socially.

7. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

RPB .... Was a Fireman and came into the trade.. not sure what age he is but will let him know of this thread so he can put his input..

8. Hewitt84

Hewitt84 Member

Thanks for the advice everyone, I don't know if I would need 2-4 years training, I'm not a 16yr old just out of school.. I do appreciate that hands on experience is key to success though. Just got to work out how to get that while still paying my mortgages I guess :D

9. Hewitt84

Hewitt84 Member

Thanks!!

10. Glenn H

Glenn H Well-Known Member

Hi Steve. As everybody else had commented it may take a little longer than you first anticipated. My advice is learn from a professional fitter and keep improving on you prep work initially. Learn the correct methods first without the shortcuts and then just keep your standards from that. Where in Midlands are you?

11. Hewitt84

Hewitt84 Member

Yeah that's fair. I don't want to sound like I can learn it in a day either by the way :)

I'm in Daventry

12. Hewitt84

Hewitt84 Member

*think* I can learn it in a day :confused:

13. Neilydun

I don`t mean to try and put you off, if its want you want to do.
    What i`m trying to say is everyday, your at a different site/house/project, which will always be different from the last.
    Unless your on a housing site, doing repetitive work, which would still have its individual problems. To deal with these problems, you will need both knowledge, and experience which only really comes once you have spent time with an experienced fitter.
    I appreciate your not 16, and will have plenty of life/diy experience etc but please don`t underestimate how much is involved with our trade.
    Again, carpet fitting is one thing, floorlaying can be much more involved.

I left school at 15, after spending many years doing Saturdays and school holidays, at work with my dad. Unfortunately he had an accident which meant he could not work with me, and I trained with someone else. It still took me several years, before I could confidently take on my own work.
    I have also had about 10 apprentice`s, of which 7 are now doing very well, and the others took on another path

If its something your determined to do, go for it, just be aware its not a quick thing to learn

14. DM Flooring

DM Flooring Well-Known Member

I came into the trade at 30 Neilydun.
    Hewitt84 I worked for 2 years for little money to while building my skills up. Didn't have a choice at the time as I was made redundant by my dad of all people lol. He didn't have a choice as his business went really quiet so not enough work for 2 of us. It was in engineering fixing machines on site. To fair I didn't like the job. The smell of oil and coolant put me off.
    Luckily a mate of mine offered to train me up as a floorlayer. It was tough at first but has paid off for me and I'm in my 15th year now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  15. RPB

RPB Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum..

I started subfloor prep and LVT (mainly Karndean) installation 16 months ago...
    This only came about as I thought when I leave the fire service I need to learn a new skill to earn a bit extra money. Last year I attended a Karndean initial course and found it a good thing to learn..
    I also spent many many hours learning the technical side of sub floor prep and LVTs (you need to learn this before anything else.., get that part wrong and you're buggered). I have gained a wealth of knowledge from the members on this forum., and most will agree, I've asked question after question.. I regularly get in touch with a couple of people on here if I need any advice when I'm on site...
    I installed a few floors to a good standard, and found more people were asking for me.. Also last year I attended the Karndean advanced course to better my skills.., and from there I was working most of my 4 days off.
    I set up a ltd company, and every single penny I earned I invested in tools of the trade., spending quite a few thousand..
    Business was getting more and more., and when the fire service wanted voluntary redundancies I took the leap.., that was 8 weeks ago.. I'm already taking bookings for August and have more enquiries to sort out.

I do have a good circle of mates in various high end trades., which has helped as they've used my services., which helped kick start the business.

Last week I attended yet another advanced course to help me speed up my installation techniques.., and still learned new things...

I've looked at vans, but haven't rushed into getting one., as my estate has coped so far.., however it's now time to get one...

Hope this sort of helps mate... One thing for sure.., don't be afraid to ask questions.., and also use the search option on here

Oh.., I'm 48 by the way...., so no.., you're never too old to learn new tricks :)

16. ROBSCOTT

I think you best bet is to try and find a firm or installer that you can help out on certain days allowing you to pay your mortgage with your current job and on the other days learning our trade, this way you will see if it is what you want to do and if their are openings for you . As most have said its probably harder than you are expecting but if your committed to it you will make it. Just dont rush into thinking you need a motor and be out on your own , your reputation and quality of work in this trade is so very important

17. Hewitt84

Hewitt84 Member

Wow, sorry I didn't get notifications that anyone else had posted!

RPB well done mate, that's great you've managed to get everything going and I'm feeling a lot more positive about things.

I think my original post was jumping the gun a little and maybe I was getting a little over-excited. To be honest I'm not desperate to leave my driving job, it's just the thought that I could still be there in 10 years fills me with dread :D I think if I take it steady and use my spare time wisely then maybe I could develop things over the coming years and gradually make the move. Better to do it gradually than not at all and at least I'll know I'm working towards something!

I don't really move in 'tradey' circles, but I am friends with an Architect a Project Manager (building trade) a couple of brickies and a couple of pavers. I'm sure between them I could find work once I'm ready.

Initially I think finding someone local that I can help would be the best thing to do, then a few courses and build and build from there...We also have 3 rooms left in our house to do and my rental property will need new carpets soon so once I'm gaining confidence I could do these myself and then perhaps move on to friends and family.

One thing though: how am I supposed to move carpets without a van? I don't think my Civic will be up for it lol
    I'm due a new car but thought I'd get a van and trade it back if things didn't work out. I wasn't planning on dropping thousands in cash more like £100 odd a month, then either pay it off and sell it or pay it off and keep it.

Thanks again for all the replies everyone and sorry if some of this doesn't make sense, was up at 3am and keep going cock-eyed trying to proof-read it :confused:

18. Neilydun

Sounds like a good plan. That initial 'in' with a fitter is most important.
    Depending on how/who you are going to buy your carpets from, you can probably get them to deliver direct to site. Or, you could hire a van for £30-£50 for a day or two.
    If you keep an eye on ebay, I have picked up a few carpet fitting kits for silly cheap money, which would get you started.

19. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

20. Hewitt84

Hewitt84 Member

Thanks a lot guys I'll have a look.

I might have my 'in'. Was speaking to one of our drivers this afternoon and would you believe it he used to be a carpet fitter/tiler and used to restore wood flooring. He broke his ankle and years ago so has ended up driving a bus now but his brother in law still runs his own business... He's going to have a word so hopefully I'll be able to help him out going forward.

By the way RPB, what was the thinking behind going LTD straight off the bat? Was it just to keep things separate while you were still working full time?