Hello, any chance of some advice please on Karndean flooring....?

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by Charlie Williams, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Charlie Williams

Charlie Williams New Member

Hi There,

My name is Charlie and I'm on this forum as I need some advice please.

Last August, we had an extension, where we had a team in who built the extension and installed a new flooring for us, with underfloor heating. So far so good.

The guy who levelled the floor did an appalling job, but the guy who was coming in to lay the Kardean we chose, assured us he would make good before he laid the flooring. He came in on 2 occasions to inspect, and both times assured me all was OK. It would need a bit of work, but we had agreed that he would get the floor so it was level with the sliding doors, so everything looked flush and lovely.

We went on holiday whilst the floor was laid, so the guys could have space without us around...Whilst I was away I texted him to make sure all was good, and he said it was.

When I got back, first thing I noticed was that the flooring wasn't level with the doors, it was 25mm below. No big deal I'm sure it could be fixed. He id this but has left an almost ramp now, as he never blended it into the rest of the floor. When a chippy came in install skirting boards, he showed me just how bad the food was; there were points where you could fit a 2p piece, length ways under some of the gaps. Even with fixes, I have large uneven gaps all around the room where the floor doesn't meet the skirts. There are also wavey lines that can be seem in certain light, which I'm sure are trowel marks, but he tells me they are the subfloor.

The installer said this was not his fault, and he should not of installed the floor, like he was doing me a favour. He did come back and try and fix the really bad areas, but the floor is still very poor considering the money we have spent on it.

I actually got him back in last week to fix some of the wavey lines, which he did do, but left such a bad finish against the threshold, that it beggars belief. He's chasing me for a days wages and costs of his day, which I have told him to go and poke. He is actually a really nice lad, and I do think it was a bad sub floor he was laying on, but surely he should have either called me to discuss or not lay the bloody thing?

My question now is what to do next? I'm not sure if what we have can be repaired, needs to be ripped up, and whether I should approach the initial guy and demand a refund before I take a legal route?

Does anyone have any ideas please chaps, as my wife complains daily about the floor, and its ruining what is a stunning new space we have created? If anyone local to Fareham fancies popping in to take a look please let me know.

I've attached a few pictures to show you what I mean, but I don't think they really show how bad it is.

Many thanks in advance,

Charlie

Attached Files:

2. nevertrever2

nevertrever2 Well-Known Member

25mm to bring up the floor in an area like that would cost! Personally I would have tried talking you out of it, it could be done but if I would have told you the cost you probably wouldn't have gone for it anyway.

Why didn't the guy who installed the subfloor get it near as to the doors? Then getting a flush finish with smoothing compound is possible.

Did the fitter discuss a cost of screed with you and how many bags it would take?
    was he a subbie to the firm who built the extension?
    Did the building firm supply all the materials or the karndean fitter?

As for the waves in the screed, the odd one you can rectify with a sand down and a layer of feather, a second coat of screed would have been the best option to get to a smooth surface.

3. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't look good:eek:

He's used the wrong adhesive to

Have you turned the underfloor heating on yet ?

4. pf flooring

pf flooring Well-Known Member

not wanting to sound like im being funny but why did one guy screed it then another fit it? also the guy who has fitted it by the looks of it doesnt no what he is doing, is he a floorlayer or a 'handyman' as there are some handyman traits that I can see

5. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

The fitter shouldnt have even thought about fitting on top of the screeded floor if he wasnt 100% and by sounds of it he wasnt. Its very poor workmanship from I can see and such a shame. I would have gave you the 1 option...For me to screed the floor properly before fitting else I would have walked away.

6. Charlie Williams

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Nevertrever2: When the guys that were screening the floor, the fitter came round and told them they didn't have to be that accurate, as he was going to be using a 10 - 15mm of leveller. Unfortunately, the screening bunch were out of that. The fitter wasn't a subbie, but a local chap that I had in. He seemed really nice and very communicative. I bought the Karndean, and he was supposed to fit correctly.

Spacey: Underfloor has been on and blasting. There are a few points which he has repaired, where the tiles are coming away from the floor. But the main seems to be quite secure.

PF: He is a pro fitter (using the word pro in it's very loosest context). I actually took the images of the floor being laid from his Facebook page.

Rugmunching: Thats my whole point with him. WHY DID YOU LAY IT IF IT WASN'T FLAT.....?

I'm now in a quandary as to my next move. Can I reuse the flooring (cost me £2k) get it flattened properly, and then relaid? Is it too late for me to seek some kind of recompense for what he has done? As I know it's not perfect I can see all of the ridges in the Karndean, and it's really starting to annoy me.

Any advice would be appreciated.

7. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

It would annoy me to
    Chances are it will keep lifling.

It is possible to reuse the plank but only if they come up easily without being damaged and with little adhesive residue on the back Trying to clean the back up is a thankless task.

8. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

You brought goods online and then found a fitter ?

9. Charlie Williams

Hi Adam,

I spoke with the fitter and we decided I'd buy the flooring, so he didn't have to outlay on the floor, to keep costs down for him.

10. Rugmunching

Keep costs down for him? That doesnt make sense. So by sounds of it he hasnt got an account of some sort to purchase the karndean on - not an issue but doesnt sound very professional and judging by his fittinf technique he defo aint a pro.

When you say the guys were screeding are talking about the builders who done your extension? Do you know what product they used?

So the fitter came along and 'patched' the floor up and off he went fitting?
    Did he expain to you the procedure regarding lvt and first switching the ufh back on?

From what I can figure is the builders screeded and the fitter patched it up instead of doing the 10 - 15mm leveller (?) he said he would. He took advantage of you being away and wanted to be in and out at the least of his expense.

Would love to see his facebook page :D

11. Rugmunching

Also if you was on holiday then how did you come of that photo of it being fitted? Did he send you that? Or is that of his facebook page?

12. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

Sounds like a tryer rather than an installer ....no one I deal with would be happy with fit only, it's a business after all. I think you've gone cheap and it's reaped its ugly head. Buy cheap buy twice. Hope you get this sorted.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. pf flooring

pf flooring Well-Known Member

no proper floorlayer is going to happily put 10-15mm of smoothing compound down on a floor by choice more work than is needed, and besides that you would run at the cost! also by the pictures its blatantly obvious the guy has measured each header spacing to be even which is wrong, telling the builder it doesnt have to be that accurate is also a BIG BIG no no builders are generally speaking shite at laying a slab at the best of times so to give them carte blanche to tosh it in is a cardinal sin as far as im concerned.

You might be able to get the floor up and reuse in part but you will need to get some more material and id say the whole lot needs taking up and doing again properly