Hello .

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by John hayes, Oct 22, 2015.

1. DM Flooring

DM Flooring Well-Known Member

And bending borders

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Don't tell everyone!

3. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

Welcome mate, who you work for in Suffolk?

4. RPB

RPB Super Moderator Staff Member

Seems to me, albeit a novice, I've been taught some tricks of the trade (LVT).........
    Which has helped me for my next job..... Only 20m2 of parquet., but with design strip border.., one ds being the 30mm.., which will not physically bend around a bullnose unless heat is applied...simple as that really :)

5. RPB

Maybe I'm under rating myself by calling myself a novice?

6. DM Flooring

DM Flooring Well-Known Member

That's a possibility Rich, we all started as novices though

7. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

I think Novice is the wrong word really sounds like it's describing someone with a hobby

8. John hayes

John hayes Well-Known Member

I work for glasswells adam

9. RPB

Hobby??? Really??? I'm packing in the fire service (after donkeys years) to pursue a new career in flooring..., that's not what someone does to enhance the love of a hobby is it???
    It's quality of life spacey, I only need to work 2 days a week to earn the shite money that I get for a weeks pay in my current job..

10. John hayes

Good luck to you rpb .. have you started flooring now ? Or what have you done so far ?

11. Spacey

12. Spacey

Let me just stop you there
    I wasn't saying it's your hobby
    I actually ment it as a compliment
    As in you shouldn't use the word novice as its not a hobby to you It's a career your forging for you self
    If your learning anything to further your self in a work and career basis your never a novice your just starting out and in your case on the right path so yes novice is the wrong word to use

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. RPB

My apologies Spacey.., I must of misinterpreted your post...
    Note to ones self... Don't read n reply to posts after consuming too much alcohol :-(

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  14. RPB

Thanks John.. I've slowly been building the business up over the last 10 months. I've installed quite a few Karndean floors (and subfloor prep), and I'm booked up until December.
    I start a parquet this week, never done one before, but I know in principal how it's done, and the correct method of marking out etc., it'll take me a little longer that's all..
    So far my customers have been extremely pleased with my work and their floors..
    Off to work shortly to complete an entire down stairs of a house... (Hopefully half a day should do it lol)
    I start fully on my own in March.., so hopefully it'll be onwards n upwards :)

15. John hayes

Glad uve had the confidence to change profession . Parquet is a nightmare . Great finish but can be messy . My only setback at the moment is I can't screed. I mean I'm willing to do it but the guy I normally work with can't afford me to mess up. Bit of a weird situation. I realy enjoy lvt even more so than carpets. It's light to carry and you get much more job satisfaction when finished. Well let me know how you get on maybe upload some pics good to see your doing well

16. RPB

Thanks., I will do.. (Pics).. I'll just take my time., once the setting out is done, it's pretty much straight forward..
    I recently priced up a job that requires 30m2 of floor smoothing compound, to a floor that's all over the place.. I know my limitations as I'm not 100% confident yet, so called on a well known person in LVT to help me out.., and thankfully he's more than happy to help..

You ought to suggest that you would like to take the lead on screeding under his supervision.. It'll help you, and help the guy you work with in the long run.. I've only done a few smoothing jobs., and my confidence is increasing massively..

17. John hayes

Exellennt . Yes it agree. Where did you learn to screed did you go on courses or just get stuck in?

18. pf flooring

pf flooring Well-Known Member

Screeding wise unless you do it your not gonna learn, masking tape up the skirts and get your boss to let you loose on sheet vinyl jobs (if you do that type of work) as if you fit it loose you will get away with abit more.

Always spikey roller your screed no matter how much or little you have to put down wether thats water based or latex based,
    always prime regardless (unless doing a dpm sarnie), if the floor is especially porus double prime and try not to use cheap cheap screed if possible learn with water based screed you will find it easier and wont go off as quick, also make sure you bung up and holes or gaps with ardurapid or caulk so that it cant run off anywhere.

teaching you how to suck eggs there but youd be surprised at how many fitters out there that have been doing it 20-30 years dont do that and repair with feather afterwards instead.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. pf flooring

pf flooring Well-Known Member

Teatowel and an iron for bubbles in sheet, found this to work excellently at xmas last year when doing a big community hall in xl, had a couple of bubbles that just wouldnt sit down despite heating with welder and rolling with roller, brought the iron in from indoors on last day (welding up day) and they stayed down a treat, just dont leave the heat in any one place for too long

20. RPB

I've researched what screeds are required depending on the floors they're being applied to., to the degree I understand the majority of the technical requirements.. I've done basic subfloor prep on the LVT courses I've attended.., and applied the basic understand to the few floors I've smoothed.

As said by PF.., I do use masking tape (get low tac, saves taking paint off when removing tape).. Always spike roller after... And where money permits., use high quality products.
    I'm finding I mainly use Ardex products.., K11 being my preferred one at the moment.., very very easy to use...