HELP, carpet fitting, good or bad?

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by Muj, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Muj

Muj Member

Hi guys,

I need some advice ASAP. I’m having 6 rooms in my house carpeted after a house renovation. The fitters are fitting the carpet and now there’s marks absolutely everywhere on the skirting.

the skirting has satin wood paint on it, the carpet fitters are saying the paint is very thing and coming off easily. I’m really confused how this has caused the damage, it’s apparently in every room on the skirting.

Small touch ups I understand but this would require me to paint all the skirting in every room that was carpeted. The images attached is only of a small section but this is the same on every inch of skirting

can someone please tell me if this damage has been caused by the fitters and not poor paint finish?

3A69790F-09A3-4C9B-8B40-33A2C3DA8BDA.jpeg 2E0CEB00-6533-4AC0-B7CA-5C5EE4FFE607.jpeg 01943C15-9FE3-4909-9384-00864AAEB361.jpeg

2. Jasper

Jasper Well-Known Member

satin wood is a carpet fitters enemy , it all comes down to the quality of the paint and how its applied,
    I have had similar marks such as yours , you have had a thick carpet fitted that needs some force tucking it down and marks can occur
    the cracks at the top of the skirting are from poorly fitted skirting wobbling when the carpet is tucked in
    These marks never appear on gloss paint
    Hope this helps

3. Muj

Muj Member

Yes the top parts where the caulk has come away I understand is movement on the skirting causing the issue which I don’t have a complaint about.

my complaint was all the scuffs on the skirting so I didn’t know who to point the finger at

4. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

To be fair I've had this times before and I always warn the customer as careful as I am it will still be a mark here and there being satin but with more care and attention it can be avoided. My marks are not has bad as yours though lol

5. Muj

Muj Member

Thank you for the replies,

I understand a few marks here and there, but this seems excessive. Would you guys say I just need to suck it up and re paint it or can I have a firm word with the fitter?

6. Rugmunching

Tell him to just to try and be more careful...
    Are they using the silver bolters to tuck the carpet in? Any of them using a white plastic one??

7. Muj

Muj Member

They were using silver then changed to plastic but said the plastic is also causing slight damage. Apparently they even tried a curved one :(

8. Carpet tucker

Carpet tucker Well-Known Member

Not liking the slashes to the skirting in the 3rd picture

9. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

As has been said satin is a carpet fitters enemy, you’ll always have some damage to them but a lot does depend on the quality of the paint, how long it was allowed to cure, the priming and how thick and many coats it had. It’s not the worst I’ve seen nor the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Is this a new build house ?
    Looks like bad cheap slashed in fitting and a painter who hasn’t sanded and primed the skirts.

11. Muj

Muj Member

It’s not a new build no, but seems from everyone’s comments the paint is the offender.

zinser 123 primer was used and then perma white as per recommendation from the painter. But I’ve realised the paint is very thin and watery and I’m guessing this is the outcome of it

12. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Did the fitter cut the skirts ? also is the Carpet have a slit cut on the external ?

13. Muj

Muj Member

Yes that cut in pic 3 is by the fitter and all those marks too.

I’m not too sure what a slit cut is, can you explain please?

14. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Picture one on the external it looks like he has over cut into the carpet so a little slit cut there. Could be just the picture.

15. Rugmunching

I'd take a guess that's where he's ran the back of his blade down the tuck....and carried on on a road trip :D

16. Muj

Muj Member

Oh yes I seen that, I’ll check it out, thank you.

It gets better however, I went to look at the fitting in person as I was at work speaking to the fitter on the phone all day and kindly one of the fitters pointed out lines running through the carpet. Great!

It’s kingsmead tranquility platinum carpet...