Help choosing options for flat

Discussion in 'FAQ Section For Consumers' started by Paul I, Jul 10, 2024.

1. Paul I

Paul I New Member

I am re-flooring my 1st floor flat that is mostly carpetted and I -believe- it is plywood underneath (it's wood at any rate, and it creaks). Total is about 50 sqm across 3 rooms, kitchen and hallway. I am leaving tiles in the bathrooms.

I have contacted several installers, both individuals and larger companies. I originally asked about using strand woven bamboo as I like it as a hard-wearing and sustainable natural wood. Every contractor I've contacted has said not to, and that I should do vinyl. They have suggested both glue down and floating options, and some have asked me to just choose from certain manufacturers and then they will quote me.

I want LVP that 'looks' as much like wood planks as possible (I think 'planks' will work best to make the spaces look bigger, rather than herrigbone or parquet). I also need to consider reducing the sound transfer to the flat below. My thinking is that floating solid core with attached (foam?) underlay/backing will work best for my needs and glue down will be too much trouble, and make it difficult if I have to get under the flooring for any reason. Is that a reasonable conclusion? And if so, what ranges should I look at that might give me the best bang for the buck? Amtico/Karndean/Moduleo/Polyflor all seem expensive - though I understand you get what you pay for, and bevelled edged certainly help the realism.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

If you are going to go for a cheaper click vinyl, I'd recommend going with a reputable company and getting them to do everything from start to finish, as you might need the guarantee, we don't touch the cheaper stuff for that reason

3. Paul I

Paul I New Member

Yep, I'm definitely getting them to do it all! I'm trying to work out how to weigh their quotes. I can't tell if the ones quoting cheaper brands really believe they are good solutions, and/or if the ones proposing floating floors are just trying to do a cheap install.

Thanks for the input.

4. crazydaze

crazydaze Well-Known Member

Floating LVT is a minefield of hurt.

Glue Down LVT is a far more stable product.

You do get as a rule, what you pay for regarding quality/look/finish, but I would say if on a budget, you'll get a better, cheap glue down product than you will a budget click LVT.

Sounds like you need to speak to the retailers in-depth about what you need, look at quality Independents as your more likely to get honest advice generally than the multi national retailers

5. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Quickstep Alpha is very good for clic vinyl

6. Paul I

Paul I New Member

Thanks @crazydaze and @merit - I guess I know glue down is more stable, but not sure why floating is so problematic (in the right environment). I will look for a couple of independents to quote the job.

7. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Its only problematic when you use a poorly manufactured product or you install it over a unsuitable subfloor