Help me choose a carpet

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by dan smart, Jul 6, 2021.

1. dan smart

dan smart Member

Hi,
    Me and my partner need to get a whole house carpeted, and we are on a budget. We have visited carpet shops and have a couple of carpets that look ok for our budget. Can anyone provide advice on which one of these would be better to go for?:

Lifestyle floors, Literature Elite

Lifestyle floors, Pebble Beach Elite

The prices quoted are about £12 - £13 per metre squared.

We are also not sure whether to get 9mm or 11mm underlay, especially on stairs. Is 11mm too thick?

Thanks!

2. Simon Grimley

Simon Grimley Well-Known Member

I don’t know the lifestyle ranges so I couldn’t comment on them.

I recommend 9mm to my clients. At 11mm you will get dips at the edges and a higher chance of the underlay releasing from the gripper unless a deep gripper like Geordie G9 is used.

For stairs you would definitely need G9 with an 11mm underlay.

3. dan smart

dan smart Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the advice its really helpful. I don't really know much about different brands of carpets, but all our local shops seem to be stocking lifestyle floors carpets.

If anyone can provide information on what we should be looking for, or any brands of carpet that are good on a budget that'd be great

4. Simon Grimley

When you say the whole house do you mean everywhere other than kitchen and bathroom?

Are you thinking the same carpet in all areas?

Do you have any kids/pets?

These answers will help us guide you.

5. dan smart

dan smart Member

Hi,
    Yes looking to do the whole house other than bathroom and kitchen. Same carpet throughout. We don't have kids but are looking to get a cat.

6. Simon Grimley

Go for a high density underlay and at least a 2 ply twist.
    Polypropylene won’t ever wear out but it will flatten fairly fast so aim for as dense a pile as you can go, short pile 40oz upwards is good.

If you can I’d say aim for something like Plushwalk 8mm and Victoria Heartland. It’s a bit more but should do well. We’ve had a similar underlay and heartland down 3 years and with regular vacuuming still looks ok if a little flat in places.

7. dan smart

dan smart Member

Thanks for that, I'll have a look to see what I can find. :)

8. kimberly martin

kimberly martin Member

Just go for material self check it will give best idea don't listen to seller

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    • List