Herringbone wood flooring popping up / gaps

Discussion in 'Wood' started by tokidoki123, Dec 4, 2022.

1. tokidoki123

tokidoki123 New Member

We had a floating herringbone engineered wood floor (click system) installed a couple of months ago...gaps have appeared all over the place at the right angle joints... see photos - the floor fitter says it might be a problem with UFH being turned on too hot/late the first time. But I'm pretty sure I saw a couple of gaps before the UFH was turned on, even if they weren't as pronounced. He said that according to the leaflet that came with the flooring, the manufacturer says not to use glue (and so he didn't).

PXL_20221126_140032590_copy_907x1612.jpg

We are still not sure why this is happening or how to fix it (without having the entire floor re-laid) - is it an installation fault to begin with?

I've ordered a rubber mallet and suction cup thing after seeing some YouTube videos, but am very worried that I will ruin the flooring if I attempt a DIY fix.

2. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

What manufacturer is it

3. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Looks like it’s come apart. Maybe not locked in the right way on installation. Maybe moisture underneath and ufh too high. Or a unlevel floor. There’s a few things really. Independent inspection would be the best way to get a answer

4. AngryAndy

AngryAndy Well-Known Member

Do NOT attempt a DIY fix as you will be blamed for the subsequent condition. Leave it as it is and seek a professional remedy starting with the installer which will probably escalate to the supplier/manufacturer.

5. Stuee1202

Stuee1202 Member

Not sure if this is a bit late for you but a local company told me about this same problem. They were pretty emphatic that they will not sell herringbone click or install an unglued herringbone floor if it is going over UFH. They said if any of the joints are not locked properly then this becomes a weak spot in the floor. If the weak spot sits directly over a pipe, it can expand quicker causing gaps, drawing in air etc., and one gap can lead to another. HTH

6. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Floating herringbone systems are terrible. They have been designed to work on a subfloor that is Perfect to the 1mm. It’s unrealistic to use