Hi all

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by RPB, Mar 9, 2015.

1. RPB

RPB Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi., I've been reading this forum for a while and finally joined up. I'm currently in the fire service and have recently started fitting Karndean., with the aim of a career change in time.
    I've done a Karndean fitters course part one and I'm booked on the advanced course in June.
    Over the next few weeks I will undoubtably be posting questions in the hope of getting some answers..
    I have quoted my first job., and it's been accepted., so it all starts from here..
    Any advice is always welcomed and always appreciated..
    Thanks

2. DM Flooring

DM Flooring Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum pal. Always here to help.

3. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Good luck mate

4. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

5. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Where you from mate? Have you tried doing other floors too

6. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

Howdy fella, you really sure about this career change?? The lasses don't go weak another knees for us flooring guys....... Maybe just me :confused: I'm guessing you're Tanias fella?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  7. RPB

Hi Daz, I'm from Worcestershire.. I've done various floors at home, and overall an advanced DIY person. Karndean HQ is in my home town, so I guess it's known more so around here, and there's certainly space in the market for fitters.

8. RPB

Haha., I've had 20 years in the service., 7.5 to go.. I'm not all out for a career change.., but.., who knows 12 months down the line.. :)

9. RPB

Thanks.., it's a great place to find out tips n tricks for a person starting out :)

10. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

Oops, just read my earlier message, big fat fitter fingers!! It should have read " I'm guessing you're Tanias fella?"

11. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

12. RPB

Yes.., I did wonder what you meant when you said Tanga fella lol

13. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

lol, did she mention that you're moving up to Scotland to work? We've got it all worked out, I have work booked for a few months in advance so plenty to keep you busy and Tania's gonna take advantage of no tuition fees up here ;)

14. RPB

lol, she did say you were stacked out and working long days... Ive got the wheels in motion down here..., priced and got my first job..., with more in the pipeline. As I work 4on 4off I have time to build a home the skills and build a bit of a reputation in the area as Ill only be fitting Karndean...
    If you get anthing nearer the Midlands let me know., Scotlands a bit for for a couple of days work... :)

15. RPB

Quick update reference my first post... I'm pretty much set up now., all tools of the trade now aquired (for lvt).. 1st job just about complete.., and another 8-10 lined up., and not even advertised yet ..
    If this carries on with more jobs coming in, I'm going to have to start subbing some out.., and also consider a career change a lot earlier than I originally thought...

16. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

8-10 jobs lined up already ? Holy**** that's good going mate

From one one man band to another NEVER sub jobs out unless yor
    110% sure they'll been done to the best standard

It's your reputation on the line

good luck

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  17. jason

jason Member

hello ;)

18. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Well hello there pal :thumbs

19. RPB

Well, a few months down the line from the original post.., I'm at crunch time, on the edge of a career change..
    I've applied and been accepted for voluntary redundancy with the fire service...
    There's some flooring work (Karndean) booked in, and it's starting to get busier.., purely through word of mouth.....
    I'm almost at the stage of flicking a coin to decide for me :)
    Nice position really :)

20. RPB

It's a done deal now..., I finish late March (8 weeks).. Work less, earn more.., makes total sense..

• Like Like x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • List