How to best soundproof floor

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by PorridgeBear, Oct 10, 2017.

1. PorridgeBear

PorridgeBear New Member

Hello!

1ST FLOOR ISSUE

I've just bought a semi detached home and ripped up the carpets and the floors are all chipboard tongue and groove. They creak in a range of spots. We drilled a hole from the ground floor into the ceiling and there is no insulation of any kind, the boards are on the joists I think. The boards are a bit dirty in various places.

We have had a variety of builders come around to discuss the issue of removing creaking and making more sound proof as walking around upstairs is loud downstairs, even with the original carpet that was there.

I am really looking for an expert in this area to advise. The options we have had so far:

* Do nothing, screw down the places it's creaking and put an overlay and thicker carpet on
    * Replace with plywood, with something like Rockwool insulation under
    * Replace with chipboard that comes with a sort of foam backing (Deckfon?) and float it on the joists - one guy said you can put this right onto the joists and another has said the manufacturer says it has to go on top of another subfloor - nobody is sure what is right
    * Use traditional floor boards with gaps - I cannot see how this would stop sound with gaps - suggestion to put insulation inside however

I'm at a loss as to what the best solution is and would really value opinions on this.

BATHROOM ISSUE

The second point on flooring was the bathroom and whether it is better to use marine ply then with a concrete-backed board or DITRA mat to aid tile stability. The floor would need underfloor heating.

Thanks so much to anyone who has time to help.

2. pf flooring

pf flooring Well-Known Member

Fill the void with wingspan or similar then put the chipboard back down with plenty of screws would sort it, ditra mat would probably be fine their use it on new build site all the time to fit ceramics to chipboard

3. merit

merit Well-Known Member

When you put the chipboard back down screw it and glue all the joins/edges with expanding wood adhesive like lumberjack or similar. That will stop the creaking you get from the joins rubbing against themselves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. James

James Active Member

Yep, as above, if it’s creaking that much was it glued originally?
    Lift the chipboard, add additional braces and nogs if required between the joists (screwed preferably),
    insulate between, glue with D4 PU and fasten with decent screws.
    For good measure drill a clearance hole to get a good tight fastening to the joist and restrict the movement.

5. alban

alban Well-Known Member

Hi , if it a newer type house many of the creaks and squeaks attributed to the chipboard flooring are actually from the metal stud walls .
    All of the above is good advise and to add , ensure you have perimeter noggins , the board joints should fall on a joist if they fly over by much then a H frame would be good . As mentioned use d4 glue on the joints but most importantly a good bead on the joists , predrill the boards to the scew shank size . The screws only hold the boards down until the glue sets .

Thanks