How to sand a heavily-varnished floor

Discussion in 'Wood' started by Danish John, Jun 8, 2024 at 9:55 AM.

1. Danish John

Danish John New Member

Hi, new user, have scanned Wooden Floors threads but not found my problem addressed.

I'm restoring an old farmhouse in Denmark. The kitchen floor had been VERY heavily varnished many years ago, then had lino glued-down over it. I've scrapered away the lino, but cannot lift large patches of glue. Experimenting with my belt sander, the varnish clogs the paper within seconds and without much impact on the surface. I used four 60-grit bands getting one area the size of the sander's plate down to bare wood. Impractical for a large room, of course.

Even if I rent a drum sander, I suspect I'll have the same problem; huge amounts of sandpaper burned away by the melting varnish.

So, what do I do? Using a heat gun and scraper would also be impractical, time-wise? It would also make the entire house stink.

2. Ewan

Ewan New Member

Hi, you won't touch it with 60 grit. When we used to sand floors regularly we would always start with a 24 grit. You'll likely go through a fair few with a varnished floor, but it will be worth it in the end :)

3. Ewan

Ewan New Member

Just to add, we would go from 24 to 40 to 80 to 120 for a really supper finish. You can stop at 80 if you feel it's good enough

4. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

Agree with above, plus round edges where i would use an edge sander, i would use a pull type scraper to remove the bulk of the varnish