idea for oak sleeper - end grain block

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by welsh wood, Feb 8, 2014.

1. welsh wood

welsh wood Well-Known Member

got some 100mm x 200mm oak sleepers - thinking of cutting into 1" PIECES then fixing / bonding to 6/9mm ply for end grain effect and then fixing to wall in house, something a lil different, bit of a feature...

Q is - what would you chaps recommend for fixing / bonding to the ply...? should I go for an MS polymer (flexi) or a rigid set adhesive EG Lcol 5500, or any other suggestions, recommendations etc appreciated

*planning to osmo polyx 3032 finish ;) :cool:

2. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member

Sounds crackin to me Pete! As for how to do it, I don't know but I reckon that anything you can do to create an individual look to an interior is a sound idea.

3. Trimmer

Trimmer Well-Known Member

Why not belt and brace it - bond it and screw from the back of the ply

4. TonyA

TonyA Well-Known Member

MS all the way.I think screwing 25mm end grain might split it.I have laid end grain floors 40mm x 40mm. i think 100mm x 200mm brick bond will look special but as a wall cladding do you need that thickness for something which will have very little wear.10mm will have the same effect with 40% of the weight.It's a bit of a trade off the thinner you go the more fragile it gets.
    Sounds like an exciting project let us all know how it goes & post some pics.
    All the best Tony

5. welsh wood

welsh wood Well-Known Member

cheers chaps for the comments & suggestions, all good pointers to be taken on-board, cheers
    will post some pics in due course, but looking a few months down the line yet. re-plastering in the next week or so etc etc...
    :cool::cool::cool: