Ineven floor

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by Grinders, Jun 28, 2024.

1. Grinders

Grinders Member

Hi…need advice
    Old victorian house
    Knocked a wall down to open up kitchen diner.
    Floor fitter fitted 9mm ply
    Added screed
    Laid lvt
    When we came to add skirting noticed a massive gap and noticed the floor is uneven near that area. Kitchen fitter said not even screed was used bad prep. Floor fitter said no its an old house so the floor wont be level…he didnt mention that when doing his quote…who is right???…shouldnt the floor of been made level???…am so confused

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Would of been cheaper to get a builder to redo your subfloor if you want
    It level. Sp101 ply and levelling compound is expensive and has limits

3. Yiddo1982

Yiddo1982 Well-Known Member

Depends if the quote was to level the sub floor or to smooth it. I also hate it when other trades get involved with something 9 times outta 10 they know nothing about

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

4. merit

merit Well-Known Member

When the walls come out the floor is often miles out. Did the builder discuss that with you? Did the floorlayers see the subfloor after the wall was removed? Was the floor checked with a level? Moisture test taken?
    As you say, the levelling of the floor should of been discussed. Smoothing a floor and levelling a floor are two very different costs

5. Grinders

Grinders Member

Thanks for your replies…The wall being knocked down wasnt the issue…the floor fitter told us everywhere would be level once he had applied the ply and screeded the floor…just wanted to know is he having me over by saying because its an old house the floors wont b level…or should the ply and screed which was done throughout the whole downstairs have made it all level…the dip in the floor is about 3ft away from where the wall was knocked down…im at the end of my tether with his excuses….as friends and family have noticed the error and its all this ohhhh i wouldnt of paid blah…

6. Grinders

Grinders Member

Btw he said he worked with the subfloor to get it smooth

7. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Some fitters bite off more than they can chew, they say the floor will be level not thinking if it's actually doable or beyond their capabilities. Sounds like in your case he said the floor would be level thinking piece of piss then realised it didn't quiet go to plan and pulls out the excuse.

So are we talking just the 1 area that potentially needs pulling up and bringing the level up?

8. merit

merit Well-Known Member

So did he see the subfloor on the survey? Did he put a level over it and discuss with you?

9. Grinders

Grinders Member

He basically…came and did the quote…promised eveeything would be level…and when the kitchen fitter mentioned the floor isnt level he pulled out that excuse…kitchen fitter said i wouldnt be happy if id paid 7k for that…thats when i asked him…i
    Its about a 3ft area…i just dont want to be played if it is the case that the floor simply cant be levelled…he just simply said recently i just worked with the subfloor…wotever that means?????

10. Grinders

Grinders Member

Im thinking of asking some other floor fitters to come in and take a look if they would…get some other opinions on it…just for advice…
    Starting to get annoyed with people commenting on it when they come in and dont want of been played

11. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

12. Grinders

Grinders Member

Cant really tell on the pics because its such light lvt…its litrally when u walk on it u walk down and then back up…he has moved the skirts down to the floor to cover the gap when i complained…the joiner was like wtf????….i just assumed with him saying all the floors will be level…they would be…but then to say i just worked with the subfloor and its an old house so nothing will be level…i jjst dont understand…?????

13. Yiddo1982

Yiddo1982 Well-Known Member

How big is the gap under the skirting

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

14. Grinders

Grinders Member

It starts off about 2cm then in the middle its 4cm then dips back down…the joiner has measure and measured and he is spot on…u can feel it when walking on it