Installed Kardean floor advice

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Pat I, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Pat I

Pat I New Member

Hi All,

I've had two floors installed by two different fitters both Kardean approved. First floor was fitted perfectly. Second floor we think not so (we couldn't get the first one back due to the long lead time before we could book them in, now I think we've regretted the discussion)

I just want some advice whether this is normal, I've since discovered while painting the skirting, as I have already had the shop out once:
    - A few of the planks are not flush up to the wall with gaps of around 2-3mm, shop says it's fine
    - Some of the planks do not run smoothly between each other, like there is a lip, approx. 2mm higher
    - The towards one side of the room, there's dip in the floor, need to measure it but i think it's about 3-4mm height difference, noticeable when you run your hand or walk over it.
    - Not sure why but the fitter, ended up cutting some pieces of plank very short, at the end of the line of planks- approx. 15mm - i checked the other planks in that line and found no reason to as 1 of the 3 is not a full length.
    - Near doors, the plank had "popped" up, i applied some pressure to push it back down to make the plank adhere. most of it now sticks there's still bits not stuck.

I'd appreciate some advice on this before I go back to the shop again, I'm not sure whether any of this is normal? I suspect no, as our first installation is not like this one.

Photos to follow when I get home this evening.

Thanks in advance

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound right to me. You should contact Karndean about it if he is supposedly Karndean approved! I don't see why one floor should be any different to the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

There's no such thing as a Karndean approved fitter Only certified. Anyone who does a course with them gets a certificate to say they completed the course.
    It doesn't mean there any good at it all though they will have been shown correct installation methods and should be putting it into practice and doing a decent job.

There's normally always a good reason for a long lead time and now you know why unfortunately.

No none of the things you've mentioned are normal and dont sound good at all Id be interested to see a few pics

4. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Approved/certified....it's very misleading to a customer. Either sound like a customer should be guaranteed a half decent job by the manufacturer. Do you get a fitting warranty if you use a certified fitter like some other manufacturers do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. pf flooring

pf flooring Well-Known Member

If there is any gaps you can see on any perimeter tile cut they should be no greater than the thickness of a blade ie <1mm MAXIMUM, from head height you shouldnt be able to see any gaps at all with that tolerance, floor should not have dips in it and unfourtunately you have come across one of the many so called lvt fitters out there, the good ones will always have a reasonable lead time.

6. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes it can be misleading and nope no installation warranty for certified installers from the manufacturer (this may change though) The guarantee is only that the product wont wear out but only if the job is registered from an official retailer and installed correctly with the recommended adhesives.

7. lvtfooringbristol.co.uk

lvtfooringbristol.co.uk Active Member

Sound like another crappy fit. By a young buck. Should of called a big boy fitter direct... Not a shop with no clue sending Barry the butcher and hook knife harry for a karndean fit. Bad idea

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk