Installing a border around QuickStep flooring

Discussion in 'Wood' started by Williamdor, Feb 13, 2022.

1. Williamdor

Williamdor New Member

I want to install a border, using QuickStep flooring, to QuickStep flooring being installed in a single direction (the usual way). I immediately see at least one problem, when you come to a perpendicular/right angle seam between the border and the otherwise usually parallel-only installed QuickStep "runs" or laminate pieces. How do you deal with the un-attached seams between perpendicular border and QuickStep parallel runs?

2. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the click version I take it?
    If so then you won't get a border to work, 'stick down' you can

3. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Quickstep Livyn click is it ?

4. Williamdor

Williamdor New Member

Update: Yes, the flooring is the Click or Lock type of flooring. As I feared the first response I received (thank you Rugmunching) confirms my fear that since the flooring planks are joined (clicked) together, the entire installation of planks must float in its entirety. That being said, attempting to install a border around which cannot (to my knowledge) be fixed to the subfloor and surrounding a floating floor, contradicts the floating principle which is the part of QuickStep click. If I'm overlooking something, I'd love to hear.

5. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

You need to swop it for the dryback version

6. Williamdor

Williamdor New Member

Please excuse my ignorance, but if this has not backing pad would you then remove all padding first? Then click the pieces together that can be, trim the click channel on any needing it and secure all planks to the subfloor? So, floating planks?

7. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

I wouldn’t no. I’d get the right gear to do it with a border. You could try with a click but it would be a lot of messing about to get it half decent.

8. Williamdor

Williamdor New Member

Dazlight, thank you for your experience. I trust those more in the know way more than me. I've made that mistake before elsewhere trusting my gut over experience.