Installing techniques.

Discussion in 'Wood' started by bladerunner, Oct 24, 2011.

1. bladerunner

bladerunner Well-Known Member

Do you always explain to the customer the different ways to install wood/laminates?.Do you ask them also their preferred method.

2. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

usually tell them how we'll be fitting on the day so there aren't any suprises. Quite simply most customers are very misinformed and really don't care, sad isn't it?

3. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member Staff Member

we simply quote the job and fit to the best method for the area in question. There is no choices for the simply reason that if i give a choice there is a chance the customer will chose the infer-ea method of install. I dont do infer-ea when i can do the better job in the first place.

We will however offer what information the customer would like to know about how we are installing the floor. Most my clients tho dont seem to care. They simply want a certain floor installed. Often i dont even meet the client. They have there team interior designers pick out the floor and then i simply install how i please.

4. bladerunner

I fitted a small bedroom in laminate and the customer wasnt happy with my "random" fitting of the planks.Her dad had the "brick" effect installation and expected that every job was alike to that.He said that "his son was a joiner",i said that if you do it that way and a couple of similar planks are laid in line together then their is a chance that they could stand out(like a sore thumb).I have never had an issue before so its a case of the explanations are going to be offered from now on.

5. tarkett85

they need to be fitted 'random' or the joints lose their integrity should be staggered by at least 30cm and no joins should match for at least firs 6 rows or so, most instructions say the same.

6. Matt

Correct, BWFA etc will back you up on this.

Problem we have at the moment is a lot of laminates etc coming from abroad that the instructions are translated poorly. Ran a course the other week for a manufacturer for there staff.

I opened the pack of flooring and the instructions was telling you to install the wrong way around. It is not possible to install this product the wrong way around. Hundreds of packs have had to have new instructions added.

7. bladerunner

Thankyou and hallelujah!.The joiner thought that it should line up as a brick lay but i think that a random fit is better.Look in the brochures and its all random fit.I am a floorer and anyway,"joiners dont level floors".

8. Matt

The reason why it should not be brick bond is actually down to strength of the floor. Not looks. The flooring is not made of bricks and mortar. Its a floating wood product that gains its strength from staggered joints.

9. tarkett85

always the same when someone wants a matwell, putting one in always weakens the joints quickstep do a decent one which is surface mounted.

10. bladerunner

Next time a joiner tells me the (his way)is best i will direct him to this forum to be scavenged by the flooring experts.

11. tarkett85

roll around the day when only qualified VAT registered flooring contractors can do this work like electricians and plumbers.

12. bladerunner

Sorry Tarkett but i dont agree that Electricians and plumbers should be installing flooring.

13. Matt

:lol:

14. tarkett85

:lol: :lol: You know what I meant

15. bladerunner

And you know what i mean.