Instarmac level it problems

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by Carty Lidge, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Carty Lidge

Carty Lidge Well-Known Member

Is anyone experiencing problems with level it red bag,yellow bag, or shlurple the purple bag?
    Did a six bag mix to a kitchen this week over warerock neet primed with prime it upon mixing red bag super 30 it had a green tinge on mixing put it down and it had gone off inside 5 minutes with the obvious spiky roller marks left behind.
    2 more jobs this week one with purple bag over ply neet primer again looked fine when finished but the customer phoned and said it was seven hours before he could walk on it.Went back to take a look some of the ply had delaminated due to the excessive drying time and there were reaction marks all over the floor!
    Went back to the first job on the same day as this one primed over the red bag with the same primer and put yellow bag on for the second skim that when dry also was very pock marked,
    So the primer is the common denominator with them 2 jobs but the red bag was must have been a bad batch and yes it was 3 months in date.
    We usually think this is the rolls Royce of screeds but 3 problems in one week has any one else experienced similar?

2. Moyle

Moyle Well-Known Member

Level it two really isn’t suitable for ply Even though it’s said to be ok for 15mm or thicker How thick is the ply? Could you not of just feathered it?

Had problems with level it two drying very inconsistently, moisture puddles in random places throughout the floor and trowel marks. All primed with prime it.
    Can’t speak for the other level it screeds you’ve mentioned never used and have absolutely no plans to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Rolls Royce of screeds :D:D:D...are you pi**ed already. Who gave you that impression lol
    Where does it say purple bag can be used on plywood?:eek:
    Bond it yellow bag for ply.

....anyway STOP using instarmac it's as simple as that! To much inconsistent results. They started out great but went down hill in my books real quick. ARDEX CL for a budget screed and mapei renovate for ply (for me)

4. Moyle

Moyle Well-Known Member

Says on data sheet purple is suitable for ‘screwed and fixed 15mm and thicker flooring grade plywood’ which is laughable.
    But agree ardex CL is best budget screed by a mile.

5. Carty Lidge

Cheers for that level it 2 is rated at 6nm I think where as na is 7nm I have made my BOSS aware of this but as usual blah blah blah...:)
    P.s its over 6 mm
    ply over a sound floor but it still should not have taken 7 hours to go off.

6. Moyle

Moyle Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t be using anything over ply apart from NA to be honest I know there’s others that work but that’s just my preference.
    If you’re gonna use instarmac then I’d be using level it flex/ super flex 30 (red).

7. Rugmunching

I've just looked on their site and I can't see where it says that level it 2 can be used on ply.
    Have they been sneaky?

8. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

It does say that on the bags, I have tried it, and would not use it again over ply.
    I don`t particularly like the Level it Flex either.
    Used a pallet of Level It 2 this week, no issues.

9. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Check your nm your way off :rolleyes: Even NA isn’t playdo

10. Rugmunching

Never knew that, checked their data sheet on their site but couldn't see it. I've used bond-it over ply with no probs.
    I've got 3 bags of bond in my man cave and doing a prep ready for a ceramic tiler so I'll use them

11. Moyle

Moyle Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. Spacey

If it’s not written at the top of the first page of the data sheet or front of the bag I class that as it’s not really suitable only possible if your luck is in :rolleyes:

13. Carty Lidge

Cheers for that level it 2 is rated at 6nm I think where as na is 7nm I have made my BOSS aware of this but as usual blah blah blah...:)
    P.s its over 6 mm
    ply over a sound floor but it still should not have taken 7 hours to go off.

14. Spacey

Are you talking about nm as in compression strength or something else ?

15. Spacey

And are you using acrylic type primer on chipboard?

16. Rugmunching

Sneaky!

They should state it on their data sheet on their site, not just random places.

Anyway level it 2 can level right off :D....after 7hrs of course.

17. Moyle

Moyle Well-Known Member

18. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

NA is 16Nm2 don’t know where you get 6 from, you need to check 28 day.

19. Rugmunching

20. Moyle

Moyle Well-Known Member