Is it completely insane to try fit LVT myself?

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by drty, Nov 27, 2017.

1. drty

drty New Member

Hi everyone, I'm a tradesman myself but not flooring - plasterer so familiar with screed, and measuring & cutting etc. And I'm looking to replace my hallway/hallway cupboard floor with an LVT; probably Karndean. Tiles very pricey and Karndean just seems like a sensible idea; no grout to get shitty, easy to clean, take high traffic etc etc

I'm guessing the answers probably going to be "no, you're an idiot", but figured I should at least ask haha. Floor is S&C screed and flat; though would probably SL latex first.

Just really tempting to try it as could save me decent money which to me is a bigger gain than the loss of say, a shitty line up a skirting.

Being a hallway obviously some obstacles - three doors, and part of it would be going into carpet stairs (and the room is triangular). Is there a certain variety you guys would say is easier to install? For example, tile shaped LVTs as opposed to long thin slats?

Do you guys have a merchant for flooring? Going through KDs website just leads me to flooring contractors

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Get some paper felt and make a lot of templates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

NA screed
    Ps adhesive
    A heat gun
    Hooked blade knife

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. merit

merit Well-Known Member

That’s out of order spacey, only the pros can fit like that

5. merit

merit Well-Known Member

And you forgot the mastic

6. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

Use looselay mate

7. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Agree....because its easier for 'the professional fitter' to rip up and fit it properly for you :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  8. Harry68

Harry68 Active Member

Hello, sounds like we're in the same boat - just about to start my hallway. So at the risk of cross-contaminating threads.....

I just bought a £30 multi-cutter from Homebase, and will use it to undercut doorways & skirts. That way, my rubbish cuts (probably with my blood on them) can slide under and be hidden.

I got the best screws I could (obviously no longer than my chipboard base and 6mm ply) to make it all as tight as possible.

I found Karndean Skim Coat on ebay for £25 delivered. Hope I'm up to getting a decent result with it.

I'm sure I'll take me 5 times as long as a pro fitter, but if I can get an acceptable result (to the Mrs), I'll be happy. I know any pro's would be able to instantly find the faults when I'm done, but I'm hoping for an OK job (famous last words).

Anyway, best of British with it.

9. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Karndean skim coat is ok. Think it’s the same as Fball micro coat.
    Do 2 coats on joints

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Harry68

Harry68 Active Member

Thanks, daz.

When you say 2 coats on joints, how do I do that.....leave the 1st coat not quite flat at the joints...or does it naturally slump back on joints?

BTW, is it ok to 'patch' with Karndean skim, after the 1st coat (if I find slight dips after 1st coat/sanding)? What I mean is can I use it like Polyfilla where necessary after the 1st coat.

ATB & thanks again.

11. pf flooring

pf flooring Well-Known Member

go over the joints with a first coat so its not raised up, then go over the entire area with a full coat is best practice after sanding joint first coat, with ply you shouldnt find dips per say unless you use cheap chinese crap, get the ply from wickes as its actually pretty good gear and easy to source.

12. Harry68

Harry68 Active Member

Thanks PF, I see what you mean.

When I say dips, hopefully I'm over-egging it. I mean any imperfections in my screed/sanding (as I say, could I just dab on bits like using Polyfilla on a wall and sand them, or would such small smears and patches fail?).

Saying that, the Chipboard floor I'm laying onto has dipped a bit in a high-use area - and I can't get it up to lay a fresh bit. What do you reckon the best course would be with that dip (maybe 5mm over 2ft width)? Was thinking of packing under ply to level it with a bit of card or spare Karndean under the ply.

BTW, there's no underfloor insulation at all (and a ground floor hall).......would it be wise (or the opposite) to put thin foil-type insulation under all the ply? Obviously, no problem for me to do it, but I won't if it'd cause problems.

ATB

13. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

I wouldn’t do that harry as you will make voids under the plywood.
    Get the ply down 1st all over then check for dips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. Spacey

Feathering like screening is a bit of an art form
    We could talk you through these things all day. But with out the experience to know what works and what doesn’t it just going to be down to luck.

Just keep in mind if you can feel anything slightly with your hands it will show through the LVT ten fold

I feather bits most would leave or not notice I’m very picky

15. Harry68

Harry68 Active Member

Thanks Daz. Now you say that, it makes a lot of sense......so I'll try to take out the dip with the screed.

Spacey, I am bricking it most of all about putting the screed down, and fully take your point about how the Karndean will magnify any shortcomings in what I've done beneath it. It's a Victorian house, so I'm going to have to 'sell' any ridges etc showing as character! Seriously, thanks mate for your wise words.

BTW, a pal of mine has Amtico in his bathroom.....fitted by a John Lewis fitter about 5 years ago. I can see a slight ridge where the ply must meet. The boards weren't bad, as I helped my mate with them (screwed them all down, planed where needed and sanded everything pretty damn flat). I don't think that fitter's motto is your sign-off on here, Spacey!!

16. Harry68

Harry68 Active Member

Original Poster, sorry for hijacking your thread with my issues! But hopefully it all adds to what you want to see/learn.

Good luck with it mate.

17. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

It’s all about the ply. Most fitters use cheap gear which expands a lot and you see a grin line.

18. Spacey

And it delaminates

19. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

....And it fucks your blade :mad:

20. drty

drty New Member

thanks for the replies, and no worries about the thread Harry lol, more the merrier