Is this legit....

Discussion in 'Wood' started by Stuee1202, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Stuee1202

Stuee1202 Member

that you should nail down and/or glue t&g to chipboard floors?

Reason I ask is because we've just had a fitter from a local retailer in to collect some faulty stuff and during the conversation, he said they nail or glue down T&G to chipboard all the time. I know you "can" but as far as I was aware and told, you definitely shouldn't, because if nailed, the planks will work loose over time and if glued, it will separate from the wax coating in the chipboard. I've certainly came across loads of floors that have been nailed to chipboard that have worked loose, but bhaven't came across anything glued.

Is this recommended as I can't find anywhere that says T&G can be installed this way?

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

No you’re not suppose to nail to chipboard as it blows the bottom of the board out and isn’t a recommended subfloors

3. Stuee1202

Stuee1202 Member

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. In the house I'm renovating, that's how the previous floor was installed and it's a nightmare. This fitter was adamant that it was ok to nail down.

There's conflicting advice about glue over chipboard though. Some companies say its ok.

4. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Even if you can it will ruin the whole subfloor of and when it needs replacing. Best off with a layer of ply