It’s a hard knock life

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by dazlight, Oct 15, 2021.

1. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

What a crazy year it’s been. Working at least 12 hours most days including measuring jobs.

Customers driving me mad with when are you starting mine. LVT work booked up till feb and everyone moaning of delays. Fitters off , being let down by subbies , jobs not getting finished, extras on jobs so losing time. Every floor we uplift always needs grinding & a Dpm sandwich.

But this last week I pushed it to much rushing, I fell over upstairs at my unit and got a groin strain , so lots of deep heat and I carry on. Then head not right I picked up my knife without looking and at the wrong end. All I need when choca. Worse thing is I had to cut a wet room in covered in blood still.

Roll on Xmas holidays lads and be careful out there. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

It’s time to slow down my friend. Too much pressure from builders and customer mostly due to their own faults and then we’re expected to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Ooooya-beauty Daz that looks like a good one.
    We've all done it and after you think what an F'in prat :rolleyes:

...but yes it's been full on, it all went abit hectic full on like someone pressed fast forward and we're still at it now.
    I've decided it's 4 weeks off for me over Xmas. Some December jobs have been pushed to January.

Majority of my customers are good and understanding but there's that 10% of them that think you sit on your ass all day waiting for them to call and expect you to pick up your phone everytime they ring you 5 times during the day to ask pointless questions :rolleyes:

The most annoying thing for me right now is with all the calls you get everyday but out of the lot only a few leave you a message then when the ones that don't leave a message that finally catch you at a convenient time start moaning "I've been ringing you but you havnt called me back" :mad:...
    Me: did you leave a message?
    Customer: No
    Me: how am I supposed to call you back if you don't leave me a message and what it's regarding?
    Customer: because you must see my missed call
    Me: well times that by 20 different people, do you really think I'm going to start ringing back my missed calls at 8pm after I've sat down in my office ready to blast through paperwork?...if you left a message then I would be chasing it up amongst the others that bothered to leave a message!

It's not hard is it ffs.

There's one guy who's house I did few Yr ago with his own supplied click flooring. It was a distinctive range but I told him it was shite to fit but carried on and after a couple year it all started cracking/creaking so I told him go back to where you got it from and get them to look at it and they can get a rep out...forward another year he still texting me at 10pm on a Saturday night wanting to talk about getting it sorted but can I fook get hold of him in the week to advise him. His words "ahh its difficult for me in the week as I'm busy with other things"

....Anyway I could go on all morning lol
    Yes roll on Xmas lads, next year will be the same, we'll all still be moaning and looking closer to that spot in the carehome where we'll eventually get dumped :(

4. Floorever

Floorever Well-Known Member

Easier said than done but it certainly sounds like you need to slow down daz. It has been a crazy year and it will continue to be so but you can’t do it 52 weeks a year!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

Good shot that mate.....
    The steri strips are great aren`t they !
    A friend of mine has just gone off sick with stress/burnout. You could never slow him down, until now, and now he is fu*cked.
    I have been trying to do less installing, and more office stuff, but when your busy thats so hard. Luckily, as I work with my sons, at least they can be trusted to do a proper job.

6. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I think next year we just have to be stricter with the diary. You need wriggle room for when things don’t go to plan so that means not over booking the weeks. But you can’t pull whole weeks out of thin air. Also needs to be in writing and clear that when builders/customers can’t make their fitting dates, they will lose their fitting dates. We’re booking into January and already about to lose two jobs as they haven’t met the dates in November. They’ve been booked with unrealistic timings and unrealistic deadlines. I find a lot of people do this as a means to push jobs on. We’ve also lost work with a few builders as they do the same. I totally get people wanting a plan but when you have other trades on site all saying/knowing there’s no way it’s going to be ready by that date you know it’s poor planning.
    It’s ok if your a big firm with people on tap to Chuck at jobs

On a positive note if you can take a step back and manage the work we have been busier now than ever before. Hopefully we can start getting the diary consistently booked up for a few months in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

That’s shit daz, hope Xmas come early mate and you can enjoy plenty of beers

8. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

Get yourself some of those finger plasters, they are extra long on one side and will stay on all day, i use them on my thumb, where the skin graft starts to split as soon as the weather gets colder

9. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

I can deal with the physical side of the job, it's the mental stress that's starting to get to me,it's not been helped by lack of sleep recently, due to a bit of a heart and breathing issue, which just leads to me being more irritable and stressed

10. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

Some aren't too far behind..lol

11. Very Good Thread