Joining felt

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by vman, Feb 12, 2012.

1. vman

vman Well-Known Member

What kind of tape do you guys use?

2. Robroy

Robroy Well-Known Member

Normal heat seam tape , iron on about 1.5 to 2 setting

3. vman

vman Well-Known Member

Would you say that it gives sufficient hold?

4. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member Staff Member

the heat seam iron for joining felt backs is different. It not only melts the tape but applies a adhesive to the edge and base of pile.

Still crap tho .

Problem is felt backs are like plywood. When they first came out the quality of the backing was so much better.

5. VitoManiac

VitoManiac Well-Known Member

I use spray adhesive on each edge before seaming with normal Gold tape and seaming cement, sticks like the proverbial shit to a blanket.

6. Hairylayer

Hairylayer Well-Known Member

Hi mate i find the gold tape good for felt backs i apply seam sealer to the edges when i join it and seem at about setting 2 on the seamer,
    As matt says the worst things is the crappy backing these days! Also a seam weight is a greay bit of kit for joining felt backs or any carpets :D

7. Robroy

Robroy Well-Known Member

The iron I use draws the glue to the middle of the join , and I always use gold tape which has more glue on it , but if you tread near a felt backed join it parts , best to sell action back if it's in a heavy wear area, I tend to use 7mm underlay if I'm fitting felt backed which is better than too spongy ;)

8. vman

vman Well-Known Member

Yeah, never been happy with the bond strength, you definetly can't put any sort of stretch on the join. Just wondered if there was a new tape or mehod for stuff. Cheers

9. eggyhead

eggyhead New Member

There's only one way to join felts heat seam but u must use seaming cement on both edges its messy but in heavy wear areas it does help getting a better grab but like others have said dont sell felts it u dont have to

10. Kevin0722

Kevin0722 Well-Known Member

I use the gold tape,copydex all my joins and follow behind with a heavy seam weight

11. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Double sided tape:D