Karndean Art Select install concerns

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by BobS, Feb 25, 2023.

1. BobS

BobS New Member

We’re in the process of having Karndean Art Select laid throughout most of our house and starting to get a bit concerned about the quality of work but not sure what’s considered acceptable.

For instance, one of the reasons we spent extra on Art Select is because the bevel adds wood realism. Should we expect a bevel on cuts or do most fitters not do this? The curve around the bullnose step looks pretty bad. The lack of bevels stands out and there are gaps.

Should the cuts along skirting and kitchen panels be as varied as the attached photos or should we expect no gaps at all?

In the largest room, there are lots of small gaps between half of the planks. Could this be something to do with working around the kitchen island?

Attached Files:

2. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Not good really. Who’s doing the floor.

3. BobS

BobS New Member

The fitter from the Karndean shop. They're a reputable business and not the cheapest so I expected a high-quality job and they promised me this fitter was excellent.

Are these common issues that can be easily fixed as snags or should we be looking for another fitter? I don't want him to waste the expensive materials if he can't do it to a good standard.

He's said a few things that concerned me, such as suggesting not to scribe border tiles into the skirting and he would just fill the gaps with white silicone and we "would never notice it"

4. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Looks like a poor effort.
    Them tiles around the curve should definately be bevelled to match.

Judging by that quality of fitting then it doesn't look like it'll get any better.

Have you raised your concerns with the shop?

5. Rugmunching

Show us more pics or the island part if you can?
    Sounds like if they are gapping that bad then he's not experienced in laying parquet especially when the field has to be broken to get round an island!

6. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Jesus :eek:

7. BobS

BobS New Member

Thanks for all the replies.

Do you mean photos of the overall floor layout or the gapping? The gapping seems to be down one side of the room on the opposite side of the island to where they started. In some places, it zig-zags between multiple tiles. Is this kind of thing recoverable without taking it all up? Can the tiles be reused?

I've not spoken to the shop or fitter yet as we only saw this after they left on Friday.

Attached Files:

8. michaelbeard

michaelbeard Active Member

You definitely have cause to raise issues with fitter / retailer
    I would say something before he continues

9. Rugmunching

Once parquet starts to swing and gap its whether your fitter is experienced enough to get it back bit I'm talking right from the start, longer he's left it rhe harder it'll be. The first starter line has to be bang on...

If its gapped more noticeably on one side of the island then I'm guessing he hasn't met it up correctly.

Salvageable?...hmm that depends on the fitter which is already clearly showing you he's not capable.

Put a pic up of the 'zig zag' effect

Tiles can be reused depending on how far he let the adhesive go before fitting on it bit usually just better off replacing for new

10. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

Has he done a full plank plus a little piece on all the border? Definitely shouldn't be gaps against the walls

11. BobS

BobS New Member

Thanks again for the replies.

Photo attached of the zig zag gaps.

zigzag.jpeg

Yes, full plank then smaller piece by the edge. There are also gaps between the herringbone and border.

cut.jpeg

12. merit

merit Well-Known Member

It’s hurting my eyes. What if someone falls down those gaps! Not good. Is he planning on welding it?
    That’s a joke. It’s not good enough. Even Karndean would admit that

13. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Just emailing you Bob.

14. Redfox

Redfox Well-Known Member

Like the fitter said just whack a load of silicone on it ya won’t notice if ya blind what a shat show

15. Redfox

Redfox Well-Known Member

I don’t bevel to wall but bevel everywhere else but I don’t have any gaps at edge it’s very poor this is why I have to spend extre hours on jobs scraping silicone off the edge and digging up unprimed screed

16. Adam Ribbz

Adam Ribbz Well-Known Member

Just get some grout