karndean boarder No1(field install first)with matt

Discussion in 'Pictures' started by Matt, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member Staff Member

right then, today i was doing a bit of boarder work in karndean. There are many different ways to install boarder work. Some people like to install the boarder first and others like to install the field (center bit) first. I will document the different ways with some pictures so you can see different methods.

So the first pictures is the floor prep continuing on from this topic - viewtopic.php?f=32&t=368

If you have read the above you will of noticed i preped the doorway ready so that the floors will flow through at one level as i proceed to install through the ground floor of the house.

So first up is a pic of the prep i started the other day-

[​IMG]

so next up is the plywood of the hallway-

[​IMG]

Now that looks nice we need to make it look a mess by applying a skimcoat to the plywood. Reason for doing the whole floor is to take out any dips, cover staple heads and make sure that all plywood edges flow nice rather than any edges that WILL show through the karndean

[​IMG]

As soon as the skimcoat is dry we need to give a quick sand over, hoover and then mark out the subfloor. You need to find the center of the room and as im fitting diagonal i have added a diagonal line to start installing the karndean off.
    Also you may note that i have penciled a rough guide of where the border will sit so the customer and see how it will look. In this case the customer decided that they didn't like the boarder flowing into the door ways so we took the flooring accross straight. (as you will see in the next pics. )

[​IMG]

So now we need to glue out the flooring. I have chossen to use F46 pressure sensitive adhesive. The reason for this is that this adhesive can do stuff that other products cant (please note that karndean adhesive should be used unless your willing to give the guarranty of the product yourself. In other words if there was a problem it will be upto yourself to replace or repair the product. Karnden wont. )

The reasons why i chose F46 (FBALLS adhesive) -

1- it stays tacky forever! So you can glue out a large area in one go. Not an area that you can cover in 15 mins
    2- F46 is wet rolled to remove trowel marks. This gives you a much better sideways movement protection.
    3- There is no possible way that trowel marks can show through the product.
    4- you can remove the product out of the adhesive with ZERO mess (needed for boarder work)
    5- you can take the glue over pencil/chalk lines. They will show through the adhesive
    6- You can glue out over lines so you dont need to worry about getting glue on the product when gluing out the next section like the boarder.
    7- I can go on but we want to see some pics ! :D

[​IMG]

Note the green showing through on picture above is primer. ALWAYS prime

so next we have the karndean being installed. If i was using another adhesive i would need to glue the boarder section after it was cut. You may also decide to install the boarder first

[​IMG]

As im using F46 i have glued the boarder section also. I use a set straight edge to mark where i want to cut the boarder in and mark the floor with a pencil before i cut the flooring to make sure there are no mistakes or if i want to change the width (again this is only possible with fballs f46 adhesive)

[​IMG]

After cutting with the knife and straight edge (only 1 score is needed! ) i can pull the planks back out of the adhesive and they will be mess free! I will next bend the planks to snap them and then cut a 45 degree angle into the cut/snap mark. This makes sure the boarder fits nice and tight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After this is cut we can start installing the boarder. (note that im still using the same glue i applied at the start of the day. No need to re glue out the area)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right then! All finished....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any comments or TIPS for me!

2. big al

big al Well-Known Member

that is nice work mate and some great tips as well

3. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

Very impressive Matt did you select the lighter grain for the 45 degre sections?
    regards Rugrat

4. tedmaced

tedmaced Well-Known Member

absolute immaculate work Matt, do you use a protective glove on your non cutting hand? i do when laying ply(i dont lay karndean ) unfortunately, they should be use when you put a lot of pressure on the knife

5. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member Staff Member

i have gloves i named "turbo gloves" use them working fast to protect against slips with knifes etc.

I presume you cut your ply with a knife maybe? I always use a jigsaw after i worked out it was faster and also ply dont cut with a knife like it used to!

6. tedmaced

tedmaced Well-Known Member

you can say that again!!!