Karndean floor bulging/swelling after 2 years

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Carl Skinner, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Carl Skinner

Carl Skinner New Member

Hi, Looking for some help.

I have a garden outbuilding, 2 years old, Karndean flooring was fitted with underfloor heating. Had 3 floor fitters round to look at no further forward. Around 20% of the flooring in completely random places is bulging/swollen upwards.
    The Karndean flooring is all stuck together still, no curling up at any corners. There is a growing gap on the edges at skirting. Fitters said the floor looks to have been fitted correctly.

The issue must be underneath.
    Don't think it's damp as no smell, the outbuilding is off the floor and no leaks or even water pipes.
    There is Latex underneath, but don't know what's under the Latex.

Floor fitters want to take up the flooring, but say it will be broken after they've taken it up. The swelling isn't awful, you can't visually see it, but you can feel it when you walk over it. Can anyone give any advice?
    1) Is it likely an issue with the subflooring? Or the Latex coming away from what's below it?
    2) Could the underfloor heating be to fault?
    3) Would you leave it and see if it gets worse? I can live with it as it stands, but wouldn't want it to get worse

I've only just moved into the property, so can't see if this is a new issue or been like this for a long time. When you walk over the swollen areas, the floor is still hard and no give.

Appreciate any advice or tips.

Attached Files:

2. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

Do you know if the building was kept heated all through winter?

3. Carl Skinner

Carl Skinner New Member

@Paul webb Thanks for the reply, it was on frost mode at 6 degrees

4. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Sounds like the latex has blown to me. Could be a few reasons.
    So really it’s live with it or rip up the section that’s has the bubbles and see what’s happened. Might just need a repair but you risk the whole lot up if you try.