Karndean Korlok Fitting

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by wajcgac, Jan 29, 2019.

1. wajcgac

wajcgac New Member

Hi,

I'm considering using Karndean Korlok to replace an existing laminate floor laid on 5mm fibreboard underlay and chipboard flooring. Nothing wrong with the existing floor but I'm removing an internal partition wall to merge 2 rooms in to one so will be redoing the whole floor

The Korlok fitting instructions state 'a separate underlay is not required' - I'm guessing because it has a foam acoustic backing already applied

The Korlok on it's own may well be much thinner than the existing laminate/underlay combination. Skirting boards will be coming off and refitted so won't be an issue but any architrave will have been previously cut to clear the thicker laminate/underlay height so there may be undesirable gaps here.

All will be clearer once the current floor is removed (I may be looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist!) but would there be any potential issues using the existing underlay or a thinner underlay with this product?

Thanks

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Replace the architrave. It’s cheaper and easier than skirting! Would ask the manufacturer for recommended underlay. Any issues they will point the finger at that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. wajcgac

wajcgac New Member

Thanks, that sounds a better and safer option than risking doing something that might upset the newly fitted floor. I've removed/refitted skirting before but not architrave so it's good to know it's not anymore difficult.

My enquiry to Karndean was met with this response 'you can not use any underlay with our Korlok' . The fitting instructions aren't quite so explicit and state 'a separate underlay is not required' almost as if it was optional?