Karndean Loose Lay Vinyl Subfloor Prep

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Michael Page, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Michael Page

Michael Page New Member

Hi, I'm looking for some guidance on how I would best install Karndean Loose Lay floor tiles.

I am moving into a new build house that has a concrete slab. The door thresholds are 25mm high and the Karndean tiles are only 6mm thick. This leaves a 19mm localised step at each door frame which is a bit unsightly, a trip hazard and just asking for a stubbed toe!

Has anyone got any recommendations for a suitable underlay system that is easily installed, thick enough to increase the subfloor height by 10mm and compatible with Karndean Loose Lay?

I have found Vitrex 5mm underlay boards which are waterproof meaning they're suitable for Kitchen, toilets and utilities (which I have). Does anyone see an issue with doubling them up to create a 10mm insulation layer + 6mm vinyl panel, 16mm total with a 9mm raised threshold. Thanks! in advance!

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Jumpax is 10mm thick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Looselay is 4.5mm thick

4. Mia Johnson

Mia Johnson New Member

Setting up such kind of flooring all by yourself can be a very daunting task. In case you haven’t bought that floor tiles yet, I suggest that you explore other options. For instance, you can search for vinyl commercial flooring contractors who can provide you with the most suitable floor tiles for your space. They can even do the installation for you, saving you from lots of stress.

5. Chrisv73

Chrisv73 Active Member

Steer clear of looselay it's bad news. Not sure what version they're onto now but nearly every job we've done in it has had to be replaced. I've told the shop I do most of my work for to either take the stand out or to steer customers away from it. Any jobs we do in it now are prepared and glued down as a regular LVT. We've had no problems as yet with the latest version of it but I'm not holding my breath.

6. Paul

Paul Well-Known Member

Just remove the thresholds

7. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

Are you 100% the subfloor is concrete and not Gypsum/ Anhydrite.. ?

8. Lantai Kayu Vinyl

Lantai Kayu Vinyl New Member