Karndean Skimcoat - any limit tou how this it goes on?

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Harry68, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Harry68

Harry68 Active Member

Hi Everyone

My hallway is now totally plyed out....there are a few dips though. Overall, it's pretty flat, just a couple of problem areas.

I intend to feather them with a straight edge and use the Karndean Skimcoat to take out the naughtiest dips...then do the final coat (the actual skim).

Does this sound alright? I don't think I'll need to go much thicker than 5mm.....but is that ok to use Karndean Skimcoat in this way?

And does it have to be totally dry (to light grey) before I put down the Karndean planks (on to Uzin2000s)

Cheers all.

2. Harry68

Harry68 Active Member

Sorry. thread title was supposed to read: "Karndean Skimcoat - any limit to how thick this goes on"

""Tou"...I think that must be the biblical spelling of "to". (Old fat fingers strikes again.)

3. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Dont bother with the ps 2000s,
    Use either karndean Universal/Uzin Ke66 or f44 will do.

(Shhh spacey ;))

4. Harry68

Harry68 Active Member

Thanks RM, but the 2000s has been bought.

Any advice on using the Karndean Skim coat in thicker patches, please?

5. pf flooring

pf flooring Well-Known Member

feather is only mesant to go 3mm max if your floor is out that much do it in 2 coats or put a fibre screed down over ply

6. Rugmunching

Take It back then unless you don't mind fitting 'mind the gap' signs on your hallway walls!

You don't want to go in to high with your skim coat, you can always add another layer if it doesn't bring up level first time but if you want to go in thick then you'll be fine.

7. Rugmunching

^^ we talking skim coat for your 'dips' or entire floor?
    (Can't scroll back with my friggin phone freezing :mad:)

8. Harry68

Harry68 Active Member

thanks, PF. Sure, I'll take the worst out in a coiuple of hits....then do the final 1mm skim coat once it's flat.

I've got 5kg to do 8 metres (they quote 25 metre coverage at 1mm), so hopefully there'll be enough for the levelling, then the finish coat.

Thanks again for the advice

9. Harry68

Harry68 Active Member

Sorry RM, what's the problem with Uzin 2000s? Can't be returned, as ithe tub is open.

10. Harry68

Harry68 Active Member

Going to sort the dips in one or two goes, then the final 1mm coat all over. Sound sensible?

11. Rugmunching

Seen a lot of lvt gap on 2000s, stopped using it myself couple yrs ago. Seemed to work for the few year I used it but then started having problems with tiles/planks gapping after little as few weeks. Ps doesn't have that strong enough hold. Going from my own experiences

12. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

That’s why Karndean stop putting it in there tubs

13. Harry68

Harry68 Active Member

Thanks, RM.

I hope to god it's improved since you gave it a swerve.

You boys have been bloody kind with advice - I'm in your debt.