Karndean Tenting

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Cuff, May 11, 2017.

1. Cuff

Cuff Active Member

Hi all,

Hope this is in correct place? I have made a balls up and need advice. Installed a job on F46 looked great when I left. Customer had underfloor heating which I wasn't aware of. Needless to say they put it on that night tiles expanded and lots tented up. I went back released the tiles and trimmed at end of row where they meet skirting etc. Now I've been on to both Karndean and F Ball and been told F46 is ok for the installation and it's the heating that's caused the problem. Obviously I'm in a poor position as I should have used the Karndean glue. Trouble is I find it dries to quick and have heard of problems with it so used the F46. If I'd known they had underfloor heating I'd have recommended HT or Epoxy. Any help appreciated as I'm prepared to re install with my Labour FOC but I don't want to end up paying for the tiles as they put the heating on !!! I'm also aware they may shrink back but that's not a problem as the skirting boards aren't on yet and I only trimmed off 3 or 4mm per row.

Thanks all.

2. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Can you peel the tile up ?

3. Cuff

Cuff Active Member

Yes mate peels off the F46 I'm hoping if worse case scenario I can guilotine them and feather over glue and relay ?

4. Spacey

Don't feather over the glue I'd be sanding it off
    Don't course your self more problems

5. Cuff

Cuff Active Member

Exactly what my pal said. I'll get my spinner on the case I suppose. In 20 years I've never had this happen. The one sodding time I go with a hunch it backfires. Thanks for the reply mate

6. Spacey

You might want to yuck some sand or screed powder to kill the tack or on the 46 or you buffer will stick

7. Cuff

Cuff Active Member

I know the old girl isn't that powerful nowadays I need a new one but that's another story cheers mate

8. RPB

RPB Super Moderator Staff Member

Same here, I only use Universal. Where UFH is present, I ask clients not to turn it on for up to 5-7 days as it give time for the adhesive to cure. Once universal is totally dry, nothing will move..
    How big is the area?

9. Cuff

Cuff Active Member

50mt2 mate. I've offered to uplift make good and re install just waiting to hear back.

10. J d clarkson flooring

J d clarkson flooring Well-Known Member

If the heating was turned back on at a high temp then that could be the cause..... personally I don't like ps adhesive much prefer a wet bond especially on ufh....
    Either way you got a load of sticky goo on the floor now which needs to come off, don't feather over the top as it will happen again. Did you tell the customer not to put the heating on, I always put it in writing that it shouldn't be switched on for 7-10 days to allow everything to cure fully.
    If they have cooked the tiles and the adhesive hasn't set then it's not entirely your fault.
    Sand back then use a ht adhesive with heating off for 2 days prior to you doing it then start again

11. Cuff

Cuff Active Member

Yes mate I did tell the customer not to put it on once we'd established they had it. I just think I'm being used as they didn't look like they liked the colours either. My fault for using the wrong glue but o doubt it'd have happened if they'd listened.

12. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Fair play to you for admitting your part and wanting to put it right, ive known of fitters that 'run off' and dont answer their phone.

13. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I don't think it's anything to do with the glue. Was it a thick levelling compound and did you fit on it the next day? Ufh normally pushes a lot of excess moisture out of the levelling compound. Good thing about the ps is you can just lift the tiles trim and refit. Maybe roll on another thin coat of ps first? I wouldn't remove the glue unless you really have to, it will be a ball ache

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Spacey

PS is not suitable for LVT on UFH :eek:

15. merit

merit Well-Known Member

It is mate. Well according to the manufacturers who invented it lol

16. Spacey

Who's that then ?

17. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Every manufacturer that makes their own ps....pick one

18. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Karndean have told you ps is not suitable for ufh?

19. Spacey

No LVT manufacturers say it's suitable

The glue it self is fine but it doesn't hold lvt in sturdy enough It's weak It has no lateral strength hence you get tenting or gapping

I wouldn't even use PS on wood plank LVT in any room of any house

20. merit

merit Well-Known Member

So it was Karndean lol.

You get tenting and gapping with ht. it's nothing to do with the glue. It's the environment it's fitted in or the poor quality lvt.