karndean training

Discussion in 'NVQ/CSCS FLOORING ASSESSMENTS' started by gazzaca83, Jan 31, 2012.

1. gazzaca83

gazzaca83 Member

are the katndean training courses worth doing at 350 pound plus the vat?

2. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member Staff Member

not been to Karndean since new trainer started. However a chap (darren) on here knows him and speaks highly of the trainer.

Going on the content of the course, well yes its worth the money.

I would save a few pennys tho and book a FloorSkills course :D . Same content + a bit extra and not product specific. Plus you get a Free listing on the new directory that will be out soon.

PS, floorskills courses are only advertised on the forum at the moment, o and im a FloorSkills trainer so maybe bias :shock:

3. bournemouth

bournemouth Super Moderator

are the katndean training courses worth doing at 350 pound plus the vat?

Not been on the karndean course but did go on the advanced lvt course at floor skills and was impressed with the knowledge of many different products on offer all for the same job including bending boarders and scribing overlapped tiles with under and over scribblers, my opinion a very good course and even tho certificate doesn't say karndean it says lvt which i prefer as it covers you for all amtico, polyflor,karndean, etc not just one product

4. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

I did the karndean one years ago, along with the polyflor and amtico one, I wasn't paying :lol: the polyflor was the cheaper and better of these 3, wish i'd done the floorskills one would've saved a lot of time and driving. Knees knackered now so won't be doing it myself but I think the other fitters will be.

5. g4l

g4l Well-Known Member

I was on it last July and thought it was mint. They call it the Basic course but have you doing motif fitting, borders etc.

You come away with angle snips, 2m straight edge, hand roller, recess scribers, massive holdall and the best thing imo is the laminated training sheets which you can keep handy and refer back to when needed if you're as forgetful as me!

Is it worth £420? When I told the course trainer that I think the course should be free as it's product based and you're buying and fitting their products he said the course costs more than £350 and what you pay is a contribution so they only get the people that really want to do it.

6. Matt

can you remember the name of the chap running the course?

7. g4l

g4l Well-Known Member

Paul Lovell, he runs the courses, he also works in the technical dept and he's one of the inspectors that go round to observe Karndean failures.

8. Matt

not anymore. Neil does the courses now.

Thanks for reminding me of the name of the previous instructor tho, dont suppose you have contact details for him? i could do with speaking with him.

9. gazzaca83

gazzaca83 Member

thanks for all your help guys,
    matt-
    how much would the floorskills training course for karndean/amtico products cost me?

10. Matt

£295 all in.

O and you will be added to the fitters directory that will here in next few days.

11. swerve

swerve Well-Known Member

When is the next course and how many dyas does it run??

12. Matt

2 day course.

We do have a 3 day course also but i think im going to try and compress all into a 2 day. If we struggle to do all in a 2 day course we will return to 3 days which is more expensive.

Still, as we are not a manufacturer we don't waste time telling you all about the company and the company profile etc for most of the first day. Also we work a longer day so the actual hands on fitting works out around the same time as a 3 day course elsewhere.

As for dates, the floorskills website should be complete mid next week which will display dates.

13. swerve

swerve Well-Known Member

Cheers

14. g4l

g4l Well-Known Member

Oh right, when I wanted to speak to him I rang Kdeans tech number and asked for him, you could try that? ...providing he's still there.

15. g4l

g4l Well-Known Member

I suppose each of the courses have their pros and cons. It's true that the product endorsed ones do harp on about their gear for a lot of the course but then it's good for you as a fitter to have a certain degree of product knowledge as we all get those nosey customers.. "ere, what's this made of?", "How long has Karndean been going? etc"

However, When I decided to get into LVT's last year I needed a course that would get me up and running and chose the Karndean one and although it was good I didn't learn as much as I wanted and am having to go on an additional scribbing course. If I knew about Floorskills I would have gone on theirs as they seem more hands on which is what I needed to start with.

16. Matt

turns out that Paul does the basic courses and neil the advanced.

17. gazzaca83

gazzaca83 Member

HI MATT,HOW WOULD I BOOK ONTO FLOORSKILLS TRAINGS COURSE FOR LVT PRODUCTS,I AM CURRENTLY DOING MY NVQ THROUGH GEOFF DIXON SHOULD I CONTACT HIM

18. Matt

PM me mate or phone me on 07971199204

19. Hairylayer

Hairylayer Well-Known Member

I'm really intrestead in the floor skills lvt course too!
    That's a really fair price Matt.