Karndean Van Gogh subfloor advise

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by budbecks, Sep 10, 2017.

1. budbecks

budbecks Member

Hello all.

Im looking to install Karndean Van Gogh on a suspended timber floor. The floor is brand new, screwed and glued 22mm P5 Its rock solid. I want to lay 9mm exterior ply on top of this screwed at 150mm centers and then lay the flooring on top of this.

I understand that any blemishes / joins / indentations etc will show through the vinyl eventually. What i didnt want to do it self-levell / latex the ply with a full coat or at all but reading through i guess i'm going to have to skim over the fixings / joints etc.

On the karndean sub-floor guide it says "Plywood joints can be smoothed over using skim coat or alternatively a full coat of a fibre reinforced smoothing compound. Alternatively apply primer and lay minimum 3mm coat of fibre reinforced smoothing compound."

Could someone tell me what the karndean skim coat is exactly ? is it a leveling compound or an adhesive ?

What would you guys do in this situation ? what system would you use ? levelling/adhesive etc ?

Any help would be great. thanks very much

2. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Skim coat is a feather finish
    Its used to smooth the transition between each ply boad so the joins dont show through the final floor covering or a full coat can be put over the lot after the joins have been done if required. If its all smooth and flat then just doing the joins is fine.

Flexy screed would be needed if undulations in the subfloor are still showing through the ply.

3. budbecks

budbecks Member

ah ok cool. i read it doesn't require priming, is that correct ?

So would be best to feather the joints with this then allow to dry and give it a full coat of skim coat all over. eliminating any imperfections. and the stick the vinyl on top of that once dry and sanded of course.

Which adhesive would you recommend for Van Gogh ?

Thanks for your help

4. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Thats right no primer is required and yes

Dry fit the lot Lift up in sections and glue with uzin ke66 / karndean universal adhesive lay the planks back in position immediately in soaking wet adhesive

5. budbecks

budbecks Member

ideal thanks spacey, you're a legend :)

6. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

We now use a orbital sander on the joints then feather joints and sand again.
    Full coat and sand all of that.
    Try and use SP101 or FG1 plywood if you can. Best on the market. You should be ok with 5.5mm

On tapatalk HD

7. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Agree sanding the joints is worth doing. FG1 for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. budbecks

budbecks Member

cool thanks guys. sounds like a good idea to sand the joints first. thats kinda of what i thought if you skim coat the joints it would obviously raise that area albeit hardly noticeable, but when you know its there, you cant stop looking at it. Pre Sanding would lessen this.

Thanks for your input.