Karndean Van Gogh with Amtico PS adhesive?

Discussion in 'FAQ Section For Consumers' started by Karenjack, Nov 27, 2022.

1. Karenjack

Karenjack Member

Hello,

We are having Karndean Van Gogh installed and have had the materials delivered. I noticed that the adhesive is Amtico PS. Is this okay? I am concerned about any warranty implications. I just wanted to ask the opinion of the pros on here. I will ask Karndean and the installers when they are back on site. It has been arranged through an approved Karndean retailer.
    Thanks in advance.

2. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

Don’t know anyone that uses the tile manufacturers adhesive very often to be honest. Better adhesives out there. I’d be more concerned it’s a PS. Although they do work in the right areas, wet set adhesives work better.

3. Karenjack

Karenjack Member

Thanks for your reply. The property is a 1 year old timber framed new build, the ground floor has the original builder concrete slab and upstairs is board. Can you kindly advise what the issue is/could be and where with PS? What would you consider to be the best for our purposes?

Thanks for taking time to comment

4. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Is there any sunlight coming onto the floor through doors / windows? If so a HT ( high temp ) would be better.
    Karndean Universal , uzin KE66 , Fball F48plus

5. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

I find it can gap over time. It’s designed for stable temperatures with no direct sunlight. But have found it to gap even in these areas. Personally I prefer to use a wet set or hybrid adhesive. Doesn’t sound like there doing anything wrong just probably not the best to be honest.

6. Karenjack

Karenjack Member

Thanks for info. The back of the house, i.e. kitchen, utility and a couple of bedrooms are south facing and get very warm. Just the materials delivered so far and I was surprised to see Amtico PS with Karndean Van Gogh. I will ask if will us the HT adhesive for the south facing rooms. Are these requirements for the Karndean warranty?

7. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t pin your hopes on any manufacturer warranty there small prints that water tight they will weasel their way out of anything. The trust must purely be with the installer

8. Karenjack

Karenjack Member

Indeed but as we will be selling in the next few years then I wouldn't want to pass a dud warranty to anyone. We got four local quotes, read the reviews, all were similar price chose who came across best. Maybe I am just being unnecessarily concerned. Is it fair enough to expect HT adhesive to be used in the south facing areas? When they quoted they knew it was very hot. Anything else I should check? They are due to screed downstairs and start boarding upstairs tomorrow.
    Appreciate your advice.

9. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

What screed are they using? What is the sub floor ? what plywood are they using upstairs ?

10. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Ps = Dog BoB

11. Karenjack

Karenjack Member

Sub floor concrete downstairs, will check exact screed being used. Upstairs is new build board. They are using 5.5mm plywood upstairs. Have read all the Karndean info re feathering/skim of any plywood joins.

12. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

How old is your house ?

13. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

Says above 1 year old

14. Karenjack

Karenjack Member

Yeah one year, kitchen and utility get really hot as South facing

15. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

I’d personally put it on a HT

16. Rugmunching

HT all the time for me even in a basement with no windows :D

17. Karenjack

Karenjack Member

I will ask for HT and see what they say. Screed going down today. Thanks

18. merit

merit Well-Known Member

That ps won’t stand a chance in south facing bifolds. Better order them some HT or high solar adhesive and a tub of grout

19. Karenjack

Karenjack Member

The saga continues. The installer has said he will use HT IF that's what I want. He wants to install it at 12 degrees and doesn't bother with acclimatizing the product. I said I thought 12 was low and was worried it may cause issue. Installer said he knew best but would do whatever I wanted. I now fell very apprehensive as he clearly wants to do it his way which doesn't match the Karndean recommendations. I don't want to be a pain of a customer just want it done right. Your thoughts? Just a difference of opinion or I should get another installer? Thanks

20. Rugmunching

I know some that don't acclimatise and fit but I've not heard of wanting to fit it at 12deg lol