Latex over sprung flooring

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by Scf, Sep 9, 2022.

1. Scf

Scf Well-Known Member

Measured a dance studio where they've created a sprung floor. Made from rubber blocks then 1 layer of 18mm ply loose laid, 2nd layer of 18mm ply screwed to the first with staggered joints. Top layer of ply isn't great with bad joints up to each other amongst other things, dips etc.

Having 2m wide rolls of dance matting on top in a black matt colour.
    15m × 5m rooms wanted as a permanent fixture with welded joins

I've spoke to the company and they said to latex it, which I can't see working as it's very springy.

Any ideas???

2. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

Would something like jumpax work?

3. Paul webb

Thinking about it,a fibre screed might work, I'm assuming the spring comes from the rubber blocks and the plywood remains rigid?

4. Paul webb

Or could you not just 6mm ply and feather it?

5. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

The seams should be filled with flexible sports floor filler then the whole surface is sanded to hell then primed

I can find out what the filler is called I still have some but I know the stuff I have was imported from Germany. Junkers probably do a version

Screed will more than likely crack with the movement although 2 layers of 18 is extream Was always 2 layers.of 9mm birch wood when I did them

6. Scf

Scf Well-Known Member

Thanks both, I've been thinking jumpax but I don't think it would take the movement.

She's on a deadline of opening a week Monday. Found some bona flexible floor filler for the joints so going to do that then cut it all in and loose lay for 6 weeks with taped joints just so she can open. Then pull back and prep properly.
    She's open to having another layer of 6mm plywood.
    Let me know if you find out what the fillers called

7. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Levelling compound won’t last. Sounds like they need the subfloor repaired/redone. Only ply over that