Laying Carpet After Refurb

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by AlanDavidson, Jun 18, 2022.

1. AlanDavidson

AlanDavidson New Member

Hi,

I am hoping that I might be able to get some (much needed) advice.

We recently had our victorian house renovated (incl. re-plumbed/re-wired). I subsequently engaged an NICF registered carpet fitter to fit new carpet in a couple of bedrooms (in advance of doing the rest of the house). The fitting is excellent, but I was disappointed that I can now feel where some boards haven't been put back entirely flush by our builders. To me the boards seem in decent condition, but our architect has suggested over-plying the boards before refitting the carpet in order to get the floor level.

I'm a bit lost as to how to proceed further. Carpet fitters/shops I've approached don't seem keen to opine on the best approach, and refer me onto carpenters (they seem only interested in the carpet fitting side). If over-plying is the best option, then that's what we'll do, but I also wonder if it isn't possible to seat the boards back level. I'd rather that one person deals with both the carpet fitting and ensuring the sub-floor is level, rather than dealing with separate contractors if that's possible.

I'd appreciate any help on:
    i) What the best approach is. Are there fitters that would routinely deal with helping level the subfloor, and if so can anyone recommend such a fitter (5 bed house, Surbiton)
    ii) Any views regarding whether putting ply down before re-carpeting is a good approach generally after a refurb. Future access to services will obviously be more difficult (lifting ply and boards).

Many thanks.

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

The contractors that lifted the boards should of re installed them as they were. Unfortunately 9 out of 10 times they don’t. That should of been pointed out before the carpets were fitted. We always fix the boards down before fitting the carpets if other trades fail to do it. If the floorboards are just old and unlevel then yes overplying is the next option. Most Floorlayer’s should be able to do that for you