Levelling Advice

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by FluidSolutions, Sep 2, 2021.

1. FluidSolutions

FluidSolutions New Member

Hi All

A bit of advice would be gratefully appreciated.
    I had a flooring contractor over to level my floor. It looked great when he’d finished but it turns out the floor was neither level nor flat. I’ve surveyed the subfloor and there are up to 5mm dips within 1m of each other. I’m planning on laying engineered herringbone and it can’t tolerate that amount of height difference. The contractor reckons it can and also thinks it’s impossible to totally level a floor with SLC.
    So I’ve used a laser and a spirit level ans I’ve been all round the room mapping the heights. I’ve used coins stacked up to give me a level so the floor is covered in coins and I reckon if you can pour to those heights it’ll be spot on. But is this possible?

Attached Files:

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

It’s about having the correct amount of levelling compound. You can’t level a floor with a 5mm coat. It’s not cheap but you have to have a good 10-20mm to get a floor to self level. It does depend on the product too. Some levelling compounds don’t self level very well. Also batches vary on how they flow. What products did he use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. merit

merit Well-Known Member

To be honest if your subfloor is really unlevel you will need even more compound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk