Levels are all over the place!

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by steve335, May 24, 2020.

1. steve335

steve335 New Member

Hi folks we had our 1930’s semi extended a couple of years ago. We decided to throw a cheap laminate down as an interim measure for a few reasons money, destructive kids.

What I didn’t realise at the time was the new slab was sloping ( builders rode off on their horses quickly afterwards) and the old floor (small terracotta tiles) was on the piss in every direction possible.

2 years on we’ve got cracked laminate joints, a visible dip in the floor and it bugs me every time I enter the room. The plus side is the kids can have loads of fun with a marble...

On the old floor there’s a good 20mm variance in some places possibly a bit more over 3.5m, a simple measure from floor to bottom of the (level) kitchen units tells me this and the massive gaps above the kick boards.

On the new slab it runs out towards the back door not sure by how much as there’s no reference points for an easy way to tell...

I’m happy to concede that the floor will never be perfect but I’d like to regulate it as much as we can and make the various slopes less obvious.

The final floor covering is likely to be a high quality vinyl - possibly tiles.

Having had various trades in for maintenance/improvements over the last 5 years I’m always left with a feeling that we’ve paid good money for substandard work. Never gone with cheapest quote and tried to get recommendations (we are not local to this area though so it doesn’t help).

Hence I’m asking here for advice.

Would a self levelling latex product be the answer, who is the most qualified trade to do this work and how much might it cost for ~ 25m2?

Sorry for a long rambling post and thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

This is a massive problem that I see on most jobs. Yes a levelling compound can sort it but you need a good base to work with. Depends if you have the clearance height. You could have a 50mm gypsum poured throughout to level it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. steve335

steve335 New Member

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I wouldn’t have the clearance for 50mm :(

4. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Yeah that’s often the case. So maybe look at digging the subfloors up and redoing them. Or a few coats of levelling compound. Depends how far out the levels are. I went to a job yesterday. Brand new screed that they builders tried to do by hand, levels are all over the place and it’s only a 3m x 3m room. Will need a 20mm coat in some areas to get it flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk