Looking for recarpet a one bedroom flat - what would a sensible quote be?

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by RGSHSHS, Aug 1, 2022.

1. RGSHSHS

RGSHSHS New Member

Hi, I want to recarpet my one bedroom flat (carpeted area around 40sqm). I am looking for a quote for a meter of Ultimate Impressions carpet from Victoria Carpets along with a good quality rubber underlay like Tredaire Colours Green 125lb. I keep getting very high quotes for that simple job in Surrey. ,Can anyone of you tell me roughly how much would you charge a meter for fitting this exact carpet and not necessary the exact underlay but something similar to it? What is important for me is to reduce the sounds that are coming from downstairs neighbours in our purpose build flat. Thank you!

2. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

£10 + vat per square meter to fit such a carpet

3. RGSHSHS

RGSHSHS New Member

Sorry, I didn't explain myself well. How much would you quote for a meter of this carpet with this underlay including fitting. The quotes I got back are very hight, and I expected around £25 a meter for carpet only and around £7 a meter for underlay with some flat charge for fitting. But I am not sure if what they show me is ridiculous or are these are going rates?

4. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Do you have the quotes and actual room dimensions? We could give you a better idea then and don’t forget you will be paying for the wastage from the carpet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Ultimate impressions is going to be over £30 per m2

6. merit

merit Well-Known Member

That underlay is naff so you should be looking at a better quality. And will be over £7 per m2. Anything up to £12 per m2.
    Fitting is dependant on many things. Is there uplift? Parking? Furniture? Gripper needs sticking? Door plates? Door cutting? Joins?

7. RGSHSHS

RGSHSHS New Member

The living room dimension are 4,37m x 3,56m
    bedroom dimension are 4,88m x 2,84m and a
    small hallway 4m x 1,11m
    Why would you say the underlay is naff? I did a lot of research on the net and everyone seems to agree that rubber underlay with impact noise rating of 44 is better than any foam underlay. I do understand it will prevent my impact noise traveling down quite well, but also should lower the noise I get from downstairs flat, where the lady stomps like an elephant all day long!!! It is driving us crazy!

8. J d clarkson flooring

J d clarkson flooring Well-Known Member

Doesn’t matter what underlay you use if she’s downstairs and you can hear stomping it’s possibly travelling up walls as well, if there’s no integral soundproofing then it will not stop the noise a massive amount.
    A really good apt foam will work as well as tread aire green or even a crumb rubber like durafit.
    The carpet your looking at isn’t cheap either
    What you been quoted as I bet even up north you would be looking at £1800 ish

9. RGSHSHS

RGSHSHS New Member

Yeah, I also feel the sound travels up the walls, but even 30% sound reduction would be helpful. It is a newish flat, only 10 years old so it should be well insulated but she is just extremally heavy footed. And they just replaced their carpet with wooden floors and it made matters worse. Very annoying. I also got a quote around the number you gave so I may think about alternative underlay like Cloud 9 Cirrus, it may bring the quite down a bit. Tahn you all for all your suggestions, I really appreciate it, I know nothing about this stuff :)

10. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

For you yo hear it pretty loud from underneath you as apposed to above indicates crap sound proofing to start with, I don't think whatever you put down you'll be satisfied with.
    You should put a solid floor down instead and stomp like 2 elephants...see if she likes it :D

11. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member