Loud upstairs floor boards

Discussion in 'FAQ Section For Consumers' started by Marie Crabtree, Mar 6, 2022.

1. Marie Crabtree

Marie Crabtree New Member

Hi, I’m hoping someone can advise me. I got karndean fitted upstairs about 5 years ago. To start with it was great, however now 5 years on and every single step is extremely loud, upstairs, when walked on. It’s not just a little floorboard squeak, it’s enough to wake anyone upstairs up if someone walks on it.
    We need to do something. Obviously I want to cry at the thought of ripping it up but we can’t go on like this as it seems to be getting worse. Is it badly fitted kardnean? Or bad floor boards (they aren’t great in rest of the house and there is zero sounds proofing between floors).

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Badly built house by the sound of it. Also if it’s a floated or poorly fixed timber subfloor and the karndean is all fitted tight with no expansion anywhere that’s probably not helped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

How old is your house ?

4. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Seems this has became quite common the last 18mths or so with some of the newbuilds I been doing. Laid Lvt in an upstairs on one plot last year and the noise travel isn't as bad as a few doors down that had lvt upstairs in theirs. Both used same method of prep (6mm ply and feathered) They're still currently trying to sort it with the house builders the last I heard. Customer wants them to rip ceilings down underneath and pack extra insulation in o_O

5. Marie Crabtree

Built in 79

6. Marie Crabtree

Thanks for the replies. So to resolve this I’m guessing we need to take flooring up and get some work on the floor boards upstairs? Then probably put carpet down?

7. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Could be T&G floorboards ?