LVT floor issue

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by mickb25, Jul 13, 2022.

1. mickb25

mickb25 New Member

Hi,

I got Invictus LVT flooring fitted last year in my new extension - it was supplied and fitted by a local authorised dealer.

They secured plywood boards to the chipboard sub floor and glued the LVT to the plywood.

We’ve since noticed visible lines showing through at the points the plywood boards join (see photo) indicating the boards have become loose

The dealer has been inspect and has offered to remove some of the tiles to establish the cause- he has indicated that the cause could be either due to the plywood not being attached properly to the sub-floor or issues/movements in the sub-floor itself. I did ask him if the fitters would have checked the suitability of the sub-floor and he confirmed they would have. His point seems to be that the sub-floor might have moved since (e.g. due to subsidence)

If it is determined that this was due to issues with their installation then he will replace it all at no cost. If, however, it is deemed to be issues with the sub-floor he said that I would be liable for the cost of the work

It’s strikes me that it is definitely not in the dealer’s financial interest to replace it all and might be using the risk of ‘me being liable to pay’ to deter from taking it further. I’m also concerned that he is not ‘independent’ given its in his interests to argue the problem is in the sun-floor not the installation

I feel like I’m over a barrel. Any advice on what I can do and what my rights are? I really need a credible independent view. I’ve tried contacting the LVT supplier themselves but not sure what they can really do.

Thanks

2. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Can you post up few pics.

Is it just on one area where you can see the lines or all over?

Do you know if they feathered the joints? (Fibre compound over the ply joints)

Is the lvt lifting aswell or just the lines you can see?

Hmmmmm subsidence....maybe the company is gearing up to feed you some sort of excuse but it could just be that if the area is subjected alot of heat from the sun then could be expansion in the ply or crap ply used.....could have been moisture in the subfloor? Did they do any moisture tests??....you see where I'm coming from, it could be a load of reasons

3. mickb25

mickb25 New Member

Thanks rugmunching

LVT was lifting in one small area but otherwise it’s just lots of areas like the photo attached where you can see/feel the join.

they definitely feathered the joints

My suspicion (based on no expertise at all) is that the sub-floor was poorly installed (builder nailed chipboard to joints rather than screwed and in parts were a bit squeaky which presumably means small movements). I guess if there’s movement there it could force the ply to move and become loose

… but I would thought the fitter should have assessed suitability of sub-floor

I really just want to know how to turn around the situation as right now the dealer has all the power and if they pull up the floor to inspect could easily fob me off saying the sub-floor is the issue

Attached Files:

4. merit

merit Well-Known Member

See this so often. It’s probably moisture getting into the ply and swelling it. Could be from the build. No dpm? Uneven subfloor? Plenty of air flow beneath this suspended floor?

5. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

What plywood was it. Do you know where they got it. I’d say cheap plywood and it’s swelled up