Lvt hollow sound

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Suureal, May 14, 2023.

1. Suureal

Suureal New Member

Hi. its a new build house and we had LVT glued down to plywood in the first floor . this was end of nov last year and we’ve started to notice a hollow sound in some vinyl tiles. when we press feels like going up and down, doesn’t feel solid floor like when we walk over other tiles in the same room. he came over and fixed by lifting the individual tiles and screwed the plywood. since then we noticed this in more areas (not sure if it was always there and we didn’t pay attention) and went through carefully identifying where there were more hollow tiles and found this happened in various tiles around the same area not one here and there and in 3 bedrooms. what could be the cause? is it the plywood not fixed properly as the vinyl material looks fine.they seemed worried because it happened in 3 bedrooms and not just in 3 or 4 random tiles. iThey implied it could be now to do with the plywood sheets as it was fitted during very cold days and one night the heating was switched off…. I wanted to understand what could be the cause and best way to fix it as I imagine the tiles need to be lifted and bits of plywood may come together glued to the tiles?! sorry the long text and many thanks

2. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Could be delamination in the ply itself,
    Ply not properly fixed down

If the ply was screeded over then it could have came away from the ply itself...

Could be alot of things, we'd need to see one of the tiles in question lifted and what is underneath whether it's the delamination or the ply itself.

3. Suureal

Suureal New Member

thanks for your prompt response.
    Yes I understand. in which circumstances the delamination in the ply itself could occur? for example, could a low temperature ( between maybe 10 and 2 degrees as it was snowing and the house was not inhabited) cause it ? thank you

4. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Timber floors move constantly. Sounds like there’s not enough fixings or fitted too tight.