LVT install not square

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by verymadmango, Sep 23, 2023.

1. verymadmango

verymadmango Member

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

We've had LVT installed earlier this year and I've just realised that it's not square.

I checked the longest wall as I understand this should be the starting point for a new install.

The plank at the start of the wall is cut to 11.5cm in width and the one at the other end grows to 14.5.

That's 3cm difference on a 4.5m long wall.

You can't really tell by looking at it, but it's causing us trouble with wardrobes.

They've been made too shallow and they need to be pushed out a few centimetres.

For that, we need to cut the flooring.

I started at one end of the wardrobe where a plank was 10cm wide, exactly the amount of space I needed, so I heated it up and removed it. When I got to the other end of the wardrobe, it was only 8cm wide.

So to make the wadrobe straight, I would need to start cutting a tiny sliver of amtico and ply underneath that grows to 2cm at the other end.

Do you think that a few centimetres off is within tolerance? Or if it's causing me trouble, should the company that installed it deal with this?

Thanks in advance, I really need a second opinion.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

2. Yiddo1982

Yiddo1982 Well-Known Member

Longest wall doesnt always determine where you start. It can depend on the room and would need pics to pass judgement

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

3. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

Guarantee will probably be void if you have messed with the installation

4. verymadmango

verymadmango Member

Hi folks, thanks for the replies.

Any changes I've made were with the installers' blessing, they were here to advise on what to do while finishing up some other stuff so I think we're ok on warranty. We didn't notice the floor being off at that stage.

I only removed the amtico they've glued on, I've not cut any existing tiles yet.

I've attached some pictures.
    The pencil line I've drawn marks exactly 10cm from the front of the wardrobe. The wardrobe and the room are square.

That's the cut I'd need to make.

You can see how it gets smaller and smaller and at the end the line disappears as the gap becomes exactly 10cm.

That's because amtico is installed at a slight angle. 20230925_191010.jpg 20230925_191028.jpg 20230925_191036.jpg 20230925_191051.jpg

5. Yiddo1982

So its not straight on the opposite wall either im guessing

6. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

Personally wouldn’t entertain it

7. verymadmango

verymadmango Member

@Yiddo1982

Nope, I've attached pictures of the opposite wall, about the same difference

@HC&F

As in, you wouldn't consider that to be an error in installation, just gotta deal with it? 20230925_194310.jpg 20230925_194342.jpg

8. Yiddo1982

If the room is square then its badly set out and installed

9. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

I could appreciate if you weren’t happy at the time of installation, but for months later to complain about it seems a bit unfair. Granted you have a point however you’ve happily lived with it without noticing for all this time

10. merit

merit Well-Known Member

It’s pissed and it’s been stuck direct to the chipboard. Who installed it? Doesn’t look like a professional job

11. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

Says in original post it’s on ply

12. verymadmango

verymadmango Member

@merit

It is on ply, I removed the ply underneath to make room to move the wardrobe, I only realised it's not straight after the fact.

I just unglued amtico and I've cut the exposed section.

And yeah I'm not trying to get them to redo the whole room or the entire floor (other rooms are like this too). I can't tell it's off by looking at it, it's just causing some trouble now.

The fitters have got other stuff that needs to be fixed, leftover glue, some minor uneven cuts etc so I'm thinking it might be fair if I do the cutting and only ask them to reinstall on the gap that's left after the wardrobe has been moved.

They're gonna be here anyway, and I think it's not an unreasonable ask since it's at a funny angle. If it was straight, I'd be happy to do it myself.

Normally I'd discuss this with the fitters but it's a nightmare contacting them so I wanted to get my facts straight first.

13. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

Does that floor flow through from another part of the house?

14. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, sorry. Didn’t read it properly. The skirting in the first picture doesn’t look 90 degrees?
    Could be set from a different area as said. Your house isn’t on a crescent or curve then? lol
    Is it out everywhere or just that room?

15. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Worst case. You could just cut back the last plank so you don’t get a slither.

16. verymadmango

verymadmango Member

Haha no, we're on flat ground

This is on the first floor of the house, it's all amtico, and yes, it all flows with no thresholds.

That said, I checked all the rooms and it's the same everywhere, everything is at a slight angle, I can't see what was used for the starting point, downstairs isn't as bad.

I'll see if I can get a hold of them tomorrow, maybe there was a good reason and I'm missing something.

17. Yiddo1982

Is there a hallway

18. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Why not ask them where they set it out from ?