LVT pre-install advice

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by SadDIYer, Jun 20, 2021.

1. SadDIYer

SadDIYer Member

Hello all

I'm currently in the process of finishing off my subfloor prep ready to receive carpet and LVT in areas. Carpet will be installed by others, I will be doing the LVT areas myself (click LVT).

House is suspended timber floor joists (400 centres mostly) with tongue and groove floorboards (22mm thick). The house has been fully renovated over the past 4 years so the new sub flooring is generally in very good condition and solid.

I am intending on having Cormar Inglewood Saxony carpet (16.8mm total carpet thickness) installed on Cloud 9 Cumulus underlay (11mm) for the carpeted areas (bedrooms, stairs, upstairs landing and downstairs sitting room). Bathrooms and kitchen I have already installed Linoleum flooring on 3mm hardboard (doh, should have gone for ply & LVT). Everywhere else (porch, hallway, utility room and dining room) will be Quick Step Alpha Vinyl LVT (5mm) on Quick Step Comfort Underlay (1.1mm) on plyboard 9mm.

I have several questions relating to the LVT install
    1. I can't seem to be able to easily find retailers who stock 9mm FG1 or SP101 plyboard? Can anyone recommend retails who do stock this, baring in mind I only need enough for c. 20m2.
    2. Is there an alternative spec/grade of ply to FG1 or SP101 which could be used if I can't source these branded ones?
    3. Planning on feathering the edges of the ply once installed, but unsure which product to use? Could I get a recommendation?
    4. What fixings and at what centres should I use/fix them for the ply to the floorboards? I was thinking something like 3.5mm x 20mm forge-fast (or similar) screw at 200mm centres each way?
    Many thanks for your advice!
    Thanks

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. Floorever

Floorever Well-Known Member

Seeing as it’s a click, you don’t need that spec of ply. Just use wbp ply from timber yards.
    Fixed at 150mm centres with 25mm screws if it’s 9mm ply. Not a necessity to feather the joints (again it’s a click and not bonded) but if you wanted to, use ardex feather finish

3. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Where about are you based as someone might be able to help. But as floorever said you don’t need that high spec ply if you aren’t gluing to it.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • List
  4. SadDIYer

SadDIYer Member

Thanks for the advice - so FG1 or SP101 only recommended for glue down? Is there a particular spec that's generally recommended for click install? Something like the general purpose ply 9mm from selcobw OK?

Would feathering the joints only really be necessary if there's any lippage where adjacent boards butt up to one another or is it Only recommended for glue generally?

Based in Manchester dazlight.

Thanks guys

5. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Just standard Hardwood ply from a local builders would do.

6. The dogs

The dogs Active Member

Did you get the inglwood saxony in the end?

7. SadDIYer

SadDIYer Member

Yes we did. We still have the stairs, upstairs landing and one downstairs room to be carpeted, but other rooms are done.

Very luxurious and soft underfoot, no complaints so far! You do get imprints with furniture but I guess you do with anything especially deeper carpets!

8. The dogs

The dogs Active Member

Oh great, good to have a first hand experience...

Do you find its flattening much im walk ways??

9. SadDIYer

SadDIYer Member

No haven't noticed that at all. We've got a 11mm underlay (cloud9 cumulus) not sure if that would make a difference.

Probably have a better idea once it's gone on in the stairs.

10. The dogs

The dogs Active Member

So much choice...nightmare isnt it!?
    We dont need to worry on stairs as its a bungalow!!:D