LVT question

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Bala KM, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Bala KM

Bala KM New Member

Hi,

A newbie to this forum so please pardon my ignorance if this has already been asked/answered.. We are going be laying down Amtico Spacia in a couple of weeks and currently have exposed hardwood flooring. We have been informed by the flooring company that a 6mm ply will go down which is good but reading some posts about moisture on the floor after screeding got my a bit worried.. How long does it need after the screeding (i was told feather finish?) is applied can the lvt's go in? the job is for about 30sqm of area and have been told 2 - 3 days for herringbone lay.. so was wondering if that is enough time for the screed to dry etc. as for the LVT itself i think they will be delivered this weekend and will be allowed to acclimatize for almost 10 days before the ply's go in.

2. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Feather finish can be laid on after 15 minutes

3. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

You have existing hardwood flooring? What type?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2019
  4. Rugmunching

They taking it up before plying?
    Is your subfloor concrete or timber?

5. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Acclimatising LVT lol. Just keep it away from the daylight and the radiators

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Bala KM

Bala KM New Member

Hi

this went down on the floor last week but I'm not completely satisfied and a bit worried as we encountered a couple of issues..my subfloor is timber as its a old 1930's house.

When the existing laminates in the living room came up he said some of the floorboards had been turned over so it needed a screed first before the feather. so he applied the screed on top of the ply boards (picture attached) and then let it dry for about 18-20 hours before he started with the feather.. did it need to dry longer? when I asked him he said it was more than enough..

the second issue was in the landing one of the floorboards was a bit creaky and there was a little bulge probably because of pipes underneath.. so the floor still has a bit of a small gradual gradient.. the floor installer said he cannot fix the floorboards and it needs to be looked at by builder..

Attached Files:

7. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Its hard to tell but probably was dry enough to install over. was the heating on? Unfortunately most houses built in the 1930s have poor subfloors and an agreement of how much repair or remedial work was needed should of been discussed before the floor was installed. This appears to be something a lot of flooring companies and customers fail to do until after the work is done.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • List
  8. Bala KM

Bala KM New Member

Yes the heating was on.. we plan to do more flooring works when we do the kitchen so il keep it in mind on how to repair the subfloor.. thank you.

9. Rugmunching

10. Redfox

Redfox Well-Known Member

How about not watching so much builders from hell and trusting a tradesman

11. frazer hipkiss

frazer hipkiss Active Member

In older houses, I prefer to put 9mm ply down, as I find 6mm a little too flexible over dished boards.